Author Topic: Woods runner entry pipe  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Mike payne

Woods runner entry pipe
« on: December 28, 2023, 03:41:00 AM »
Hey anyone know what the entry pipe on the original rifle looks like? Looking at the pictures on the forum don’t see any pics of it.

Mike

Offline Eric Laird

Re: Woods runner entry pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 10:27:30 PM »
Mike,

The return on the original entry pipe is worn almost foil thin. If I remember correctly, Wallace Gusler (the owner at the time) speculated that it was faceted and had a thumbnail. When I made my copy, I also included a band across the tail. This was probably back about '04-'05 at an early Richmond, VA show. It was really enlightening to be able to hold the original. He also speculated that it had carving behind the entry pipe that was similar to the tang carving. His speculation was good enough for me so that's how I built mine.

Eric
Eric Laird

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 12:02:11 AM »
Don't remember who took this series but they may have been posted here quite some time ago.  Or maybe not.

The original antique - not the Kibler version - is a very wonky and crooked rifle.

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Laird

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 03:05:10 AM »
Thanks, Eric! Clearly you can see the thumbnail and facets, so I misremembered his speculation which was obviously just on the carving!

Eric
Eric Laird

Offline Mike payne

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
Thanks guys! I am working on a copy for my own use I am trying to get it as close as possible. Really appreciate the responses.

Mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 04:23:40 PM »
 Do you think that wear was caused by resting on a saddle?

Tim C.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 07:11:29 PM »
The pipes were made out of thin sheet brass and when the rifle was originally built it had very little wood between the ramrod and the bottom of the stock. I would estimate 1/16" or less. I do believe the wear is from carrying it across a saddle. I took Wallace's class when he had the rifle totally disassembled and I took the pictures that were posted here a few years back. It's a great rifle but it has a few design issues that would not pass today's scrutiny. The thin wood under the ramrod being one and the other is the butt plate is mounted crooked. Don't get me wrong, I love this rifle and I built mine pretty much to the same dimensions of the original. In doing so I realized that if I built another that I would allow another 1/16" of wood below the ramrod for a total of an 1/8" and I would mount the butt plate straight.

Well, Jim Kibler fixed those problems when he designed the Woodsrunner. Job well done Jim. Jim's little rifle is a fairly true representation of the original. It is well balanced and points like a dream.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 07:55:29 PM »
Here is one more view of the entry pipe on the original Shenandoah rifle.

duplicate url finder