Author Topic: Shooting a Hole-In-One With A Flintlock  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Shooting a Hole-In-One With A Flintlock
« on: December 23, 2023, 03:42:55 AM »
This is just a fun little post- I was shooting some trap in the yard with my son today, he with his shotgun and I with my Fusil de Chase.
This shot was a laugh- Christian thought I missed but I could see the hole thru the clay pigeon as it began to fall.
Sure enough, my first "Hole-In-One" 🤣

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Shooting a Hole-In-One With A Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 10:15:04 PM »
Were you using shot, or round ball?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 07:36:55 PM »
My guess is a Skychief load & hit it with the heavy wet wad. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 01:36:24 AM »
LOL, no Skychief load. Just 60 grains ff, crumpled brown paper wadding, 90 grain measure of #5 shot ( about 1- 1/4 ozs, and some grass over wadding.
Nothing fancy but it works (thanks Pukka Bundook).

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 01:55:56 PM »
In my experience, targets breaking in that manner is a result of them being old, poorly stored, or have a high humidity content. The center is the thinnest part of the target. there are three other visible hits. Probably only one or two pellets hit the center. A fresh target hit with #5 shot should break completely apart.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 03:32:37 PM »
I just got them from Walmart.

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 05:02:30 PM »
Getting them from Wal-Mart doesn't mean you got fresh or properly stored targets.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline wolf

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 04:01:19 PM »
when i was a kid my dad had a good friend named Benji he would deer hunt and run around with here in SC, this was in the 50s-70s Benji was a legend then and is now when it came to shooting, he is still talked about today. here in SC it has always been legal to deer hunt with dogs. a few of those men used 22 rifles. i know that is a whole can of worms, but that is just the way it was. they said if a deer came out to Benji he could hit the deer in the head or neck. that don't sound so specular in itself, but he could do it with a pack of dogs running the deer! daddy said he could hit anything thrown hard into the air, such as an inch square block of wood. he also could kill a squirrel as it jumped through the trees. as he got sick in the late 90s i got to visit him a lot, daddy was already gone by then. Benji was a humble man, he was a country southerner but very smart. he was a small man that was golden glove boxing champ in the army in the 50s, while visiting him right before he died, his son and i were talking about his shooting ability, he said Benji could hit a nickel flipped into the air every time, and a dime a lot of times but not every time. i had the honor to be a Paul bearer at his funeral. he was put in the ground on the 4th of July 1997 some men do extraordinary things,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 06:26:53 PM »
Getting them from Wal-Mart doesn't mean you got fresh or properly stored targets.
I couldn’t find the “Best Used By” date on the case of clay pigeons
These did just fine, thanks though 😉
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 09:36:34 PM by Bob Gerard »