Author Topic: Mormon pioneer John Brown, J&S Hawken  (Read 4801 times)

Offline reddogge

Re: Mormon pioneer John Brown, J&S Hawken
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2024, 11:16:51 PM »
The article above states the rifle is 56 1/2" long so if you deduct a standard pull of 13 1/2" plus another 1 1/2" to the breech you'd get 41.5". That would be pretty close, maybe 42".

Offline Habu

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2024, 02:26:08 AM »
Does anyone know the barrel length on the John Brown rifle ?

I don't have the barrel length; as best I recall it was about the length of the rifle I was shooting most at the time (a Henry copy with a 39" barrel). 

FWIW, the barrel of the other full-stock Hawken I mentioned earlier measures ~41 3/8" from the face of the breechplug to the muzzle.  Depending on which flats you measure, it is ~1.19" at the breech tapering to ~1.06" at the muzzle.  Twist is 1:48, bore is .52-.53".

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 08:29:34 PM »
A little late to the party bout would LOVE to seen the cheekpiece on this rifle.

Dan
A pic Notchy Bob posted on another forum:

Hey, it worked!

I got to handle the rifle about 30 years ago.  If the pic isn't clear, the bottom of the cheek piece face has a flat, not a slash or bead.

I was looking for a small detail that has appeared on 2 different FS rifles that are later than this rifle. One is a heavy Kentucky and the other a fullstocked “Mountian Rifle”. These are both in the Firearms Museum wing of the Cody Museum. But are now much harder to find that previously.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine