Author Topic: Flintlock in the works  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Bassdog1

Flintlock in the works
« on: February 07, 2024, 09:55:54 PM »
A couple years ago I bought a pre carve stock and barrel at a sale. My builder who was a teacher at my former High school has started the build here are a few pics.

pic hosting site

Offline Daryl

Re: Flintlock in the works
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 11:24:55 PM »
Always a marvel to me, to see a rifle coming together. I quite admire such talent.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 04:23:26 AM »
I have about 75 bucks in the barrel and stock. but of course, it will cost much more when finished. I will post pics as the build progresses. He has finished kits, but this is his first build from a plain barrel and rough pre carved stock. He is getting lots of help from other builders. If anyone is going to the NMLRA show coming up in Pennsylvania he has a horn that will be presented celebrating I believe 1000 donors that have donated at least 1000 dollars to the organization and it is amazing, Very talented horn builder. Some are in the background pics,

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 08:33:03 PM »
So, so far the gun has cost virtually nothing. That's a wonderful start, instead of a more normal $600.00 for those parts, might even be higher now.
Daryl

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 08:56:27 PM »
Ya it was at a sale and the seller had very little in any of it. Bought lots of other parts that I have sold off for production guns. This is a first for me and I am very excited to shoot it. I have almost zero experience with flint locks this 40 cal should be a lot of fun to learn with. I just need to find a good source for some quality flints as that is the only item that I don't have for it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 10:11:32 PM »
 www.trackofthewolf.com for flints. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/141/1  or https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/142/1 @ $2.35 each.

It appears octobercountry muzzleloading store only has the cut-"flints" now for $3.60 each. They used to sell real flints.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:19:48 PM by Daryl »
Daryl