Author Topic: Lead Shot Alternative  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Lead Shot Alternative
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2024, 09:18:52 PM »
Post-it notes can also be used as shot wrappers. Some have claimed good patterns at longer than 25 yards, which seems close to the limit of most cylinder bored guns.
There are lots of tricks can be used or experimented with. The Swedish Cup wad was noted by WW Greener in the 9th Edition of "The Gun and it's Development". The 1st Edition
was written by W. Greener, in 1858, seems to me.
One of the Ely ctgs. was noted in Firearms of the American West in a contest between a 48" barreled 12 bore fowling gun, and a SxS 14 bore English gun the American called a "little pistol".
The contest was at 75 yards, on a 4" x 7" piece of paper.
The 12 bore long gun made 4 pellet hits on the paper.
The "little pistol" made 28 hits. "Old Tom" remarked, "now don't that beat all". Love those books. The documented "anecdotal entries" are wonderful.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline DanL

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 01:53:51 AM »
I have posted the below information once before. It is in reference to a gobbler I shot with a 20 gauge flintlock Chambers' fowler using TSS shot and plastic shot cup designed for the TSS. The penetration was incredible. Shot was approximately 30 yards. Tremendous amount of holes through the breast.

FYI:
A Friend of mine X-rayed the turkey's breast for me.

At the distance that I shot this bird, the pattern should have fully covered its head, neck and chest area. The 1.75 OZ load of TSS that I used contained 577+ of #9 TSS pellets. We were fully expecting to see far more shot left in the breast (it is in a plastic freezer bag on the x-ray table).

One can see from the visible the shot that approximately 18-20 were left in the breast. All of the remaining 557 some odd pellets probably either missed or hit the neck and head. I suggest that a significant amount totally penetrated the breast and possibly exited the bird or possible stuck in the skin. Unfortunately, I did not save the skin & feathers.

Still playing with TSS,
DanL

« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 02:01:39 AM by DanL »
From God's Farm in Alabama; God bless America & "Alba gu Brath !!"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2024, 06:28:42 PM »
I'll continue to shoot lead in a traditional manner. Has always worked for me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2024, 04:45:36 PM »
If I was allowed to hunt with lead I know I would surely use it too-- both in my flintlocks and other guns. But it's good knowing that a couple other things work as well or better-- if your state loses its collective mind, like mine did.

We are still free to shoot targets and clays using lead and I hope that will continue to be legal here.

K
Galations 2:20