Author Topic: Slotted screws  (Read 1274 times)

Offline J Shingler

Slotted screws
« on: February 06, 2024, 12:06:18 AM »
Anyone have a source for slotted unplated screws? Would like to buy a supply like 100 count packs of several sizes and not the small qty packs form Track and Log Cabin. Can find Philips at local hardware store but the good ol slotted is now a rarity.
Thanks
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Slotted screws
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 12:19:57 AM »
Blacksmith Bolt

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 02:02:36 AM »
You don't need to limit your search to un-plated screws. A short soak in vinegar will remove the plating.  In my experience, an overnight soak in cleaning vinegar (double strength) does the trick.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 02:04:15 AM »
Try your local Lumber Yard (if you haven't already). You might also try online / searching for slotted wood screws. Something might pop up? Otherwise, go the route Bluenoser mentioned above.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 03:27:47 AM »
Went looking for some slotted wood screws a couple months ago and couldn't find any of any size. Seems like my local hardware and Lowes and Home Depot have all gone to Phillips head or Torx drive screws for drills and power screw drivers. Ended up ordering the screws I wanted from Blacksmith Bolt and they were here in a couple days.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 04:49:45 AM »
Blacksmith bolt is what I was looking for. Thanks guys!

Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 07:52:13 AM »
I have had the exact same question this week, and same end results. Nothing but Philips and torx at hardware stores. Ordered from Blacksmithbolt, but only needed 4 - #6 x 1" screws so ended up ordering over $20 of various things to get over the extra $4.00 charge for small orders.

Now today I need 2 - #6 x 1.5" bolts 40 TPI for jaeger sling swivels. I widened the swivels slightly so the provided screws too short. Track has a bolt (it is for their brown Bess swivel I think), and only a couple dollars, but will be over $16 by the time shipped. I will look in town tomorrow, but imagine I will be ordering when I get home. If I could plan ahead at all I would save a bundle on shipping, just had an order of other stuff from Track last week and 2 more bolts would not have changed that shipping cost any.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 03:51:34 PM »
If you would like to experience real pain, try cross-border shipping  :(

The last boxes of (plated) screws I purchased came from Asheville Bolt and Screw in Asheville, NC, and were dirt cheap.  That was a while ago, and I don't know if they still stock slotted screws.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 05:45:44 PM »
At some point in quality machine screw making especially for locks, set triggers etc. at home one must consider a small lathe.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 05:49:52 PM »
Plated screws, unless chrome plated can be converted to unplated in seconds with the acid sold in hardware stores etc for etching concrete. Hydrochloric  IIRC. I think you can find a screw selection at Brownells.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 05:57:24 PM »
You have to look in the specialty parts boxes in the hardware store you will not find them on a rack someplace. Where I live Ace Hardware has them. Or search the WWW they are out there.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 07:47:02 PM »
At some point in quality machine screw making especially for locks, set triggers etc. at home one must consider a small lathe.
Got that and yes I make a lot of my small machine screws out of 12L14. But not worth my time to try and make wood screws. As Jim Bibler and others have shown Blacksmith Bolt has them for $9 -$10 / 100.
Thanks.
Thank you
Jeff

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 07:52:41 PM »
Yup. Checked Ace and L&M Fleet. They have some #6x1.5" fully threaded in Philips head but 32 TPI (I need 40 TPI). Looked for something, a rod, pin, clip or something the right diameter that I could use to make these two bolts. 1/8th too small, 5/32 too big.

So 2 bolts coming from Track about $13 and change total.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 09:58:47 PM »
McMaster-Carr carries a fair selection.  Go to fasteners, screws, select "slot head"
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 01:38:44 AM »
I have noticed that modern slotted wood screws tend have a wider slot than I'd prefer on a gun.  I do use the Blacksmith Bolt supply screws.  They are extremely soft.  I guess the ultimate answer is for me to learn to make nice looking wood screws. 

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 03:16:53 AM »
The slots in wood screws can be swaged narrower.  Just make a swage block with an 82 degree countersink.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2024, 06:01:18 AM »
I saw where blacksmith bolt also has non slotted screws.
Thank you
Jeff