Author Topic: round vs square here we go  (Read 1144 times)

Offline recurve

round vs square here we go
« on: February 14, 2024, 07:43:53 PM »

group
WHY do my square patches group 3 inches to the right of my round patches  ? I have the same result in my other rifles (Just call me square patch)  same load same lube same patching cut from the same bolt of cloth .
mutton lube
10 oz denium
490 ball hand cast pure lead
same 80 gr swiss 3f 4f swiss in pan
bench supported 100yrds shot with in 5mins of each other same temp

Offline MuskratMike

Re: round vs square here we go
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 08:34:19 PM »
If the patches are of the same size it should make no difference what shape. For the record my wife makes square patches in bulk for me then it sit down and nip the corners so they are octagon's.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 10:42:58 PM »
The patch protects the lead from heat, seals the gases, and grips the rifling and the ball. Could be the gases are differently sealed, or the ball is better gripped? All you can do, I guess, is pick the one you like best and use it all the time. I have found that square patches large enough so that I can trim them with scissors with the ball flush with the muzzle shoot very well out of a couple of my guns. A square is easier to make than a round, for me. (?)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 11:20:08 PM »
I just about always use square patches since they're easier to cut out.  But I have used round(ed) and octagon patches and couldn't see any difference which, to me, justified cutting them square.  The patch does have to cover the ball so nothing but the patch material touches the bore.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 11:23:10 PM »
I use a proper sized hole saw with the teeth ground off to a sharp edge and a grade 8 bolt screwed in the end to beat on. Far more durable than one with the Hex shank.

I don’t think shape matters for accuracy but a larger than needed patch wastes patch lube.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 04:00:43 AM »
I use arch punches or bearing races with ball bearings.
No, neither the bearings, nor the bearing races will shatter.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline TDM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 04:07:25 AM »
I use arch punches or bearing races with ball bearings.
No, neither the bearings, nor the bearing races will shatter.

Nice set Daryl.

And I can think of no explanation for patch shape affecting the group.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 11:19:13 PM »
I use both round patches that I lube and cut using cutters that I made and I also use strips of material that I lube and keep in plastic medicine containers.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 12:56:08 AM »
I do as well use all shapes. I have found no difference in poi using the different shapes, whether square or round precuts, or cutting at the muzzle.
What I have found to change point of impact, is the lube used. Whatever the gun is sighted for, use that only. Change the lube and you might have
to re-sight in the gun. Slippery lubes for me, have required more powder to get the same poi AND accuracy. In .40 and .45, it took 10gr. more. In the
.69, no difference. Go figure.
Daryl

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 05:57:02 AM »
I don't see a noticeable difference in performance between pre cut square or pre cut round patches. Like Dan said the square will use up my bear oil faster.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 04:50:51 PM »
The square patch was all I used and they were cheap;A contractor's bag full for $5 in the late 1950's from Wes Kindig.
These were cleaning patches for any 30 caliber rifle and were military surplus.As far as I know there is no way to really lubricate
a round ball so the patch must be a seal/gasket to deliver the accuracy needed.I was surprised at the accuracy of the 58 caliber
flintlock rifle I made and using a sloppy fitting .562 ball in a ,575 bore.I use pure* lead and wonder if any upset/enlargement in
that under size ball.
Bob Roller
*What is lead used in hospital X ray as a shield.It is easy cut with a thumb nail.I have been told it's pure with no tin or babbit
added.I would think babbit would be obvious/maybe'
Bob Roller

Offline yulzari

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 05:34:46 PM »
The Austrian army used triangular patches in their rifles so I would imagine the only difference between all shapes is whether a patch releases the ball all at once or peels itself off the ball from the first bit that lets loose.Hence the argument for cutting the patch at the muzzle so that the patch has to be centred.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 10:31:04 PM »
All muzzle pictures I have seen, the patch is immediately flared out and not touching the ball within 2" of the muzzle.
This is due to the action of the rifling (spin) as well as 'air/wind' resistance, but likely more the spin, however the same
thing happens with patched balls in smoothbore, with zero or very little spin.
X-ray room wall lead is a VERY soft, Bob. I would estimate it is more pure than Plumbers lead, that is 98% pure.  I have to
add a tiny amount of tin to it, to reduce the rate of oxidation. I use 1/2" of 50/50 bar solder for 20 pounds of lead. This makes
a huge difference & I can cast 50 calls before having to skim and re-flux the melt.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 10:35:47 PM by Daryl »
Daryl