Author Topic: Barrel Scraping  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Barrel Scraping
« on: February 11, 2024, 03:19:39 AM »
Out of curiosity I am wondering if gun barrels were/are scraped for final smoothing. I’m looking at an old, round Fowler barrel and it appears to have hand scraped striations along the length of the barrel that are not file marks (as best as I can tell).

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 03:23:10 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Barrel Scraping
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 03:28:37 AM »
Would draw filing give a different look?  If I tried scraping a barrel I’d use a concave scraper with a radius not a lot bigger than the barrel’s radius to get a wide contact patch.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 03:18:02 PM »
Guys,

I make my own barrels without using modern machine tools.  Round barrels are more of a challenge than octagon barrels.  Starting with the forged iron surface i file an octagon (8 sides) to a 16 side shape to a 32 side shape to a 64 side shape.  This is followed by a final polish.  So, a period barrel often will tend to have the feature as you have found.  When doing a gunsmith show-n-tell I let visitors rotate a "round" barrel in their hands as they discover that they are not perfectly round at all but actually a series of tiny flats as your photo shows.

As an aside, I let the visitors sight down the flats of a hand made octagon barrel, not perfect either.

Jim

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 04:14:57 PM »
I have used a scraper on barrel flats. Depends on the barrel material .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 06:34:00 PM »
Not knowing better, I didn't draw file my fowler barrel except on the octagon part, the round part is not even close to being even and smooth, it almost looks like it has tiny bulges in places. It is finished and on my fowler anomalies and all, one does have to get the light just right and know what to look for to see what I should have corrected.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 07:59:44 PM »
Interesting barrel, Bob. Makes me think of the US troops rubbing all of their musket's parts, with the or "a" steel rod, to make them shiny.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 10:23:05 PM »
Daryl- it is a really interesting barrel inside and out. Whoever worked on it was careful and creative with it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 04:57:47 AM »
That one looks like it was sanded lengthwise, with 60 grit and a LOT of pressure. ;)
Cool muzzle treatment.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 10:26:22 PM »
I've drawfiled oct-round barrels to remove machining marks and have ended up with a barrel marked like that if I don't then use sand paper on it.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline JasonR

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 03:32:07 AM »
Those narrow striations are likely from a firmly held, slightly concave scraper moving at a fast pace. Easy enough to mellow those out with hard-backed sanding. But if not, it's character!