Author Topic: Rifles, Shotguns and Squirrels  (Read 14027 times)

Mike R

Re: Rifles, Shotguns and Squirrels
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »
Shotguns are for people that can't hit a squirrel or rabbit with a rifle.

Dan

I was taught that shooting squirrels with a shotgun was tantamount to murder.  ;D

....yes, and when I want to murder one I use a shotgun  ;D....lately I have been slaying them with an old Stevens drop block single shot with .22CB caps.  Properly hit they drop like rocks. My coonhound hides when I haul it out of the corner 'cause she is scared of its power.... ::)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:36:43 PM by Mike R »

northmn

Re: Rifles, Shotguns and Squirrels
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »
Have you tried calling them?  Back East in Southern Ontario, I used a squeaker for calling squirrels - worked like a charm.  i'd walk intop the maple and oak bush, find a good spot to sit against a large Oak, then wait for the forest sounds to resume.  I'd then sweeck on the little rubber squeaker (probably from a kid's toy), but purchased at a sporting good shop, then stop, squeak again a few times, then stop. In les than a minute, you could hear them coming through the branches and 'splashing' thorugh the leaves, coming to the call.  At a shot, they'd scatter, then let the sounds of the bush, birds, etc resume then start squeeking again and they'd come back.  I used this meathod for about 6 years, until I left the area - it was always productive.

I am going to try it. I bought a squirrel call from Gander Mountain locally.  Also have a rat terrier I am try to get chasing squirrels.  May even murder a few with a fowler.  I do not give as much of a sporting chance with a flintlock as with other guns.

DP