Author Topic: Jaeger Build  (Read 4826 times)

Offline alacran

Re: Jaeger Build
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2024, 04:21:38 PM »
I have enjoyed watching your progress and the way you are going about the process. The rifle will really pop when you finish the wood. Great work.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Grischi

• Youtube: 'Ist das Kunst oder kann das weg?'
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 10:07:20 PM »
This will be extremly nice when finished.
Such clean work. I'm impressed.

Christian

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 08:14:35 AM »
Your in-letting looks great - can't wait to see the finished rifle! 

As for a spokeshave, you should find and old one like this, much finer cut if sharpened and adjusted properly.  Still gotta watch your grain behavior tho'.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2024, 03:37:01 AM »
What a great photo essay.  It is really taking shape.  Wish I had your patience.

Offline Cotton1of2

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2024, 05:17:00 PM »
Here’s a few pics of the carving process. Using an original as an example I started drawing the carving designs on the stock. Pro tip I learned, a 4b pencil is excellent for this task as it leaves no indent in the wood and is dark black. Be careful, your sweaty hands will wipe off the best design in one swipe!

I stab in the lines using various gouges, hopefully finding a matching radius in the pile. These gouges have rounded corners and a heel added to them. The rounded corners helps immensely by not leaving jagged edges at the corner and you can cheat a gouge into a slightly tighter radius, giving more flexibility and range.

I put little arrows indicating where wood is to be removed, easy to get confused and make a regrettable mistake. I use something like a #2 sweep, 6mm wide fishtail gouge to remove the peripheral wood and level. I’ll finish with Ron Scott’s leveling tools and sanding boards.

Offline PhDBrewer

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2024, 08:04:38 PM »
Looking great Ryan!
Thanks for the tips on drawing & carving.

William