Author Topic: Rifle finish question  (Read 734 times)

Online brokenhand

• Starting Member
Rifle finish question
« on: April 02, 2024, 06:45:25 AM »
Have any of you fans of Tried and True wood finishes ever used the original formula? I bought some a while back and have never used it. Mostly what I see are people using the varnish oil version. I have a rifle to finish and I hate to use something unproven. I was thinking Chambers oil, but then thought of tung oil or a tung oil blend. If you have a proven winner, let me know. I have used chambers before and kind of leaning that way a bit.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Rifle finish question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 11:53:34 AM »
Have not used Tried and True but have used Chambers oil finish many many times and have never regretted using it. I have also used Watco Danish oil finish and I like it but have alway been concerned about how it would stand up to severe weather. I was always a fair weather hunter!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 07:05:43 AM »
I use Chambers’s almost exclusively. VERY easy to use, makes a great, smooth finish. Seems to be pretty forgiving in the weather, but if a guy is a hunter, I add a few coats of spar varnish, and top it with  Chamber’s oil finish.
Early on, I tried them all. Tru-oil, Permalyn, tung oil, etc., etc.
It may not be the most PC, but it’s a very good, easy finish.
IMHO!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 03:03:42 PM »
I too, use Chambers oil pretty much for all my builds.  I like to use a few coats of Waterlox for my sealcoats, scuff them back, then onto Chambers oil for the remaining topcoats.