Author Topic: Trigger Pull  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Pete G.

Trigger Pull
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
I've got a rifle where I pinned the trigger too far to the rear and got too light of a pull. I have moved the pin as far forward as the guard can stand, but the pull is still too light, less than a pound on my spring gauge.
I am looking for ideas for good ways to fix this.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Trigger Pull
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 10:38:07 PM »
First, do you have just the slightest bit of trigger play at full cock. If not it could be the trigger is preventing full sear engagement.

Second, could there be drag on the wood preventing full sear engagement. Smoke the lock innards with a candle, install, and look for rub marks.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 12:56:47 AM »
You could make a trigger with a forward extension.
Andover, Vermont

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 01:03:06 AM »
If there is no drag, interference, etc., per Nate's comments, I have added some pull weight to a light trigger by making a heavier sear spring for the lock.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 01:07:40 AM »
I know modifying a lock involves it's own liabilities, but I would consider making a new and stronger sear spring. Just an idea, but that approach, given that there are no other problems or deficiencies, should offset the short trigger pivot to sear situation.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 06:45:06 AM »
Rich has the solution assuming everything is functioning normally.

Put you trigger back in its original position modified to extend the "flag" portion of the trigger forward and re-drill/pin or make a new trigger with more forward location to drill

A pic would show what I mean - hope you get the jist of what we are trying to convey

BTW what is the distance you have it pinned originally?
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

northmn

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »
Sometimes a light trigger pull can occur because of the tension on the sear screw.  Try tightening that.  Does not always work but I ahve seen it on some locks.

DP

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 09:04:17 PM »
Back in the day, when I sought to 'improve' the pull, I accidentally made it harder by grinding the tip of the spring shorter on the sear spring. The tip then contacted the sear  bar farther away from the pivot, increasing the pull dramatically.

The closer to the pivot the spring contacts the sear bar, the lighter the pull will be. The farther from the center of pivot, the harder the pull will be. It takes very little tip of spring removal to have a big effect.

Worst case scenario: the risk is that you might go too far, or have to reshape the spring, and then re-heat. Or have to make/buy a new spring.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
Thanks, guys.
The original pivot distance was a little shy of 3/8". I didn't really expect it to be that light since most DST are about that distance, and I have never seen one of those with a good unset pull. I underestimated how much difference a pivot set up high can make. The difference in the angle of the trigger against the sear apparently can be significant. I'll file that one away in the storehouse of knowledge. I had thought about shortening the spring a bit, but wasn't sure if that would make much difference of not.
As it is the distance is now a little longer that 3/8" and the pull is about 1-1/2#, which is OK for the range, but too light for a hunting rifle. I'm thinking that maybe the solution would be two different springs.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 11:28:46 PM »
Pete, just be sure you've followd Nate's advice first. Make sure everything is free and clear. You should be able to knock the hammer without it going off. Is there a difference with the trigger in and the trigger out. Does the lock go off too easily with working it out of the stock. Eliminate lock problem and wood problem first. My bet is it's one of these.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 06:28:09 AM »
At near 3/8 inch I'm now inclined to think wood interference or a sear / tumbler problem

Let us know what you find
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
I agree with Bill assessment above.   If you have moved the pivot point forward and it didn't change anything, you must
have something impeding the movement of the sear.   The first thing I would check would be to see how easily you can
release the sear when the lock is out of the gun.   If it lets of with a slight push on the sear, then you have a lock or sear
problem, and you will have to deal with that accordingly.   If it takes more pressure to touch off the sear, then you have
an inletting problem.....find out where it is being held up....wood, or the trigger is too high and impedes the sear from fully engaging the tumbler notch.   Fun, isn't it..............Don