Author Topic: Stock Finishing Question  (Read 722 times)

Offline A Scanlan

Stock Finishing Question
« on: April 16, 2024, 02:07:44 PM »
A fellow "gun-clubber" is working on a Kibler "woodsrunner" in cherry. I saw the stock before he applied a finish and it was nice unfigured cherry, beautiful and simple.  What I was not fond of was that he ordered an "upgrade" in what I feel is overdone cnc "carving".  It has tons of "scrolls", lines and other features....but he liked it before the finish was applied and that mostly is all that mattered at that point.  He did not say specifically say what finish he applied but he did say it was a recommendation of and purchased from the Kibler organization.  After he applied the finish, and I was told he did it by a clean cloth wipe, it never seemed to dry, most specifically in the areas where it was "carved".  I tend to feel that he got too much in the lines and depressions that gummed up.  I saw it once after that and it looked really bad.  SO, he decides to clean it all off using a very fine sand paper and picking it out of the carvings as best he could.  I saw it again Sunday and he did a good job of removing almost all the finish, even from the problem areas.  Now he seems to have another problem.  The wood has a very unsightly brown-green color and it does not seem to be able to be sanded clean.  It actually looks like old popular wood!  A lot more sanding and he will see all the carving disappear!  It actually looks as if there is a deep stain and it don't look good.  So the question is does anyone have a suggestion on something that he might use to "bleach" the wood back to a more natural color?  Also, what about trying to apply some stain at this point?  I have used Min Wax Antique Oil on stocks and really like the way it finishes out.  I gave him some and suggested he try it on a spot to see how it turns out.

If it were mine I would abandon the attempt at "cherry" and darken it up with a brownish stain then apply the finish.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Stock Finishing Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 03:28:28 PM »
I wonder, he didn’t use any stain? Sure sounds like he gummed it up with finish. Stripping using real paint stripper, tooth brushing the carving out, flooding with water, drying the stock 3 days, then staining would be my approach.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 04:12:03 PM »
I agree with Rich's reccomendation, then I would start over with the finish. I never found a cherry stain that I thought looked right. I always used a weak solution of Red Devil Lye (I forget the mix I used but I started with very little lye mixed in a quart of well water, I added a little lye into the mix until I got the color I wanted, I kept the remaining mix for future use). but Red Devil Lye is hard to find these days. Some use spray oven cleaner to darken Cherry I believe it has lye or something similiar in it.  You need to test whatever you use bbn on some scrap wood or places that do not show i.e. barrel channel

The lye solution It is not an actual stain but it causes the wood to darken and gives it an aged look. Just go very light with it until you get it color you want. After I got the color I wanted I used several light coats of Chambers oil finish just make sure it does not get too thick in the carved area.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 01:09:58 AM »
You can also use Drano mixed with water to stain cherry.

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks all.  I'll pass it along.

Regards,

Al Scanlan

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 11:47:14 PM »
This is Cherry "stained" with 1 tsp. lye in 1 qt water

Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson