Author Topic: Anyone know Larry Bryner?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Anyone know Larry Bryner?
« on: April 15, 2024, 09:48:27 PM »
Would like to learn anything about Larry Bryner, the maker of a fine Vincent rifle that I bought last Saturday at the Oklahoma City Gun Show. Very neatly made & engraved .45 caliber with nice curly maple & signed by the builder. I love Vincent rifles for off -hand shooting & this one fits me very well.  Any information is appreciated.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
Re: Anyone know Larry Bryner?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 08:57:24 PM »
I knew Larry Bryner for many years. Unfortunately due to complications from a tractor accident, he is no longer with us. We met at the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors annual show in Marietta, Ohio, sometime in the 90's.  He was an immaculate builder and built many fine Vincent copies. My son is the proud owner of a Vincent .40 caliber that I had Larry finish for him for his high school graduation. It is a beautiful rifle with a silver engraved cap box and lots of other engraving. Larry was a great guy to talk to and was a true gentleman. He was president of the longrifle collectors association for several terms. Early on he built many rifles for Golden Age Arms and I believe also for the Log Cabin Shop.  If I remember correctly,  Larry was a machinist by trade. He also made beautiful presentation tomahawks. He could restore original rifles to the point that you couldn't tell where he added metal or wood. He restored a M. M. Benson rifle for me that had been blown up using smokeless powder and about 4 inches of the barrel at the breech was blown away along with a lot of wood and part of the lock. When Larry finished with it I couldn't tell where he added to the barrel or the wood that he replaced. He also built me a Hawken rifle. All of his work was immaculate. You have a real prize. Congratulations on a fine rifle.

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 09:34:25 PM »
Thanks very much for the information on Mr. Bryner. I always like to know something about the builder of one of my rifles. With all the artistry that goes into building a fine muzzleloader, I think it completes a connection between the two of us through time.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 03:40:40 PM »
I also knew Larry, and his family, for many years. He was not only a craftsman of the 1st class, he was a gentleman, when he wasn't grumbling at you, and great husband a father. He left us to early and is missed by all who knew him.
Smokinbuck
Mark

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 05:11:36 PM »
The good ones always leave too soon but they leave GOOD memories,ALL of the guys and girls I knew as a kid and young man are gone.
None were involved in the things we discuss here but they filled a need in our lives . I miss them a lot.
Bob Roller

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 08:53:38 PM »
I did not know him really well, but about 15-20 years ago, he restored a rifle for me. It was a lot of work, he did a great job, and when he gave me the bill, I was shocked. It was about a fourth of what I was thinking. So, from what I know about Larry Bryner, he was a good fellow.