Author Topic: G. Donack rifle  (Read 829 times)

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
G. Donack rifle
« on: April 27, 2024, 10:46:30 PM »
Acquired this G. Donack rifle at a local gun show last weekend. Am an old guy who shouldn't keep acquiring these latest, last firearms, but the price of this piece in quite sound shooting condition, made it irresistible. I see from older threads it's a New York rifle and likely made in the 1850s by one of two George Donacks, the maker not being well identified.  My question is: for what usage  would a rifle like this be designed? It weighs just over 9 hefty pounds, the barrel, measured by the bore, is 28-inches in length, and is .50 caliber. The bore is somewhat coned at the muzzle to ease loading, and the sights are not sophisticated. Beefy, handy, and of significant caliber, would it have been intended for western usage, perhaps favored by horsemen due to weight and length, where large game  was still plentiful? It certainly reminds me of a Hawken sort of weapon. Would something like this otherwise appeal to an eastern or midwestern customer?

Offline Bob Roller

Re: G. Donack rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 12:10:36 AM »
Good looking old rifle and little use showing.I owned a similar rifle when I was in high school but it was unmarked as to maker and had a nice back action lock.I think I got it for $40 back in "The Day".I don;t remember if I shot it or not.
Bob Roller

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 03:25:46 PM »
 I have no info on the gunsmith Donack but am going to take a stab at it intended use.  In a book I read, it might have been "THE M-L CAP LOCK RIFLE",
there was a chapter about bear hunting in the eastern US. Most hunting was done with a SXS rifle as I recall. The bears were hunted in thick brush and briars with trails winding through them. There were always at least Two hunters and when a bear was encountered it was usually at very short range. The first hunter would discharge both barrels at the bear, then drop to the ground and the second hunter would then discharge both barrels into the bear. Most SXS rifles I have seen built in the east are usually of a smaller caliber, maybe .45 and under. It does seem that this short .50 cal Donack rifle might also be suited for bear hunting...LK
Ed Hamberg

Online Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 07:27:34 PM »
Interesting late rifle. I would suggest if you are interested in shooting it, a square of Maroon Scotch-Brite on a jag, lubricated with WD40
and run up and down the bore (turning the wrist with the rifling) about 30 to 40 times, maybe replacing the square if it gets looser due
to wear, will greatly enhance the bore's condition.
We have done this quite successfully with a number of barrels.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V