Author Topic: TN/KY Rifle Show Topic - LC Rice Lock  (Read 861 times)

Offline Shawrco

• Starting Member
TN/KY Rifle Show Topic - LC Rice Lock
« on: April 30, 2024, 11:59:47 PM »
Good afternoon,
Searched for info on this subject and only found a 2020 discussion of a "new" Rice lock based on the Nock lock.  Since that's an older topic, I thought it better to start fresh!
I attended the TN/KY Rifle Show in Knoxville a few weeks ago, my first time to attend.  There were an impressive array of long rifles. accoutrements. and accessories; much to dazzle the eyes and tempt the pocket!  Since my fascinations lie more with the Germanic rifle there were no rifles per se for me to look at, so I spent most of my time looking at the various locks that have been used over the years on flintlock rifles.  At one of the tables was a gentleman showing and discussing a new lock he had developed, and the sign on the table indicated he was taking pre-orders during the show.  I stood on the edge of the group he was talking to and I heard him say the lock is going to be totally CNC machined and he explained in great detail (a lot of which went over my head) about lock geometry (while displaying the lock at half/full-cock and firing position.
When I came around again later there was no one looking at the display, so I pulled out my TRS P. Poser lock that I have been working on (casting set) and was making some comparisons to sear springs, bridle shape, etc. and the gentleman who had been talking to the group earlier came up and asked me what I had.  He introduced himself as L C Rice...  We had a laugh or two over my mistakes - getting the pan screw too high and possible ways to try repairing the pan screw hole that I had messed up by forgetting to reset the milling machine depth after changing from tap drill size to clearance drill and enlarging the entrance of the tap hole.
He demonstrated his new lock again, and I wish I could recall what period and rifles the lock will be appropriate for.  Perhaps some of you in the know are already aware of this.  He gave me a business card which I have misplaced, and I don't recall a website address on it... just "call and leave a message and we'll get back to you" kind of instructions.  From further searching online I have found a website, Buck Ridge Flintlocks, that shows various offerings, including the new "Nock Lock" but no mention of this new CNC lock.  Since I didn't pay close attention to the style of the lock, it shouldn't surprise you that I didn't hear him say anything about an estimated delivery date.  Mr. Rice was an absolutely fascinating fellow and I thoroughly enjoyed talking lock-making with him.  Since I'm on Mr. Laubach's waiting list for a Germanic CNC lock I didn't dig too deep into Mr. Rice's lock, but looks like Mr. Laubach may have some competition on the horizon for a modern, precision-machined lock.
Oh, I was able to step up one screw size and get enough threads tapped into the hole to secure the pan...

v/r,
Joe B

Offline Telgan

Re: TN/KY Rifle Show Topic - LC Rice Lock
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 12:48:16 AM »
You know what LC's initials stand for don't ya - Lost Cause Rice. LC is a great guy, He can wear you out with stories all the way back to the times of Noah

Offline Tenmile

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 01:44:30 AM »
Joe that’s interesting to think about cnc and flintlocks. I think that if Dickert had had a cnc machine that he would have used it. Of course he wouldn’t have been making flintlocks. This is an interesting time we live in. We used to use old square head molders in millwork. I ground molder and shaper knives by hand for many years. Now they have machines that read an autocad file and grind them. I did make shaper knives to plow barrel channels. Somewhat primitive but it worked. Thanks for sharing this. That’s a neat experience to meet Mr. Rice. Lynn

Offline sdilts

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 02:21:10 AM »
Buck Ridge Flintlocks is not affiliated with LC Rice's lock. Liston Rice, owner of Buck Ridge Flintlocks, is the older brother of LC Rice. LC is doing his own thing with this lock. LC's lock is for an early style. He is hoping to have it available in July this year. He doesn't have a website, but his phone# is 828-593-9492. His business card says to call and leave a message.

Offline Shawrco

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 03:36:25 AM »
You know what LC's initials stand for don't ya - Lost Cause Rice. LC is a great guy, He can wear you out with stories all the way back to the times of Noah
True that!😁 He’s a interesting character for sure. From what I’ve read he is doing all the lock tuning for Jim Chambers (met him at the show too) Flintlocks, such that he can’t take on any side/independent jobs.

Offline Shawrco

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 03:42:47 AM »
Joe that’s interesting to think about cnc and flintlocks. I think that if Dickert had had a cnc machine that he would have used it. Of course he wouldn’t have been making flintlocks. This is an interesting time we live in. We used to use old square head molders in millwork. I ground molder and shaper knives by hand for many years. Now they have machines that read an autocad file and grind them. I did make shaper knives to plow barrel channels. Somewhat primitive but it worked. Thanks for sharing this. That’s a neat experience to meet Mr. Rice. Lynn
I would have liked to learn how to program CNC machines, but I enjoy the old ways too.  Recently had a tour of the Navy depot at NAS Jacksonville FL; they have some huge multi-axis machining centers, Mazak, etc. interesting, none of them made in USA…

Offline Shawrco

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2024, 03:43:36 AM »
Buck Ridge Flintlocks is not affiliated with LC Rice's lock. Liston Rice, owner of Buck Ridge Flintlocks, is the older brother of LC Rice. LC is doing his own thing with this lock. LC's lock is for an early style. He is hoping to have it available in July this year. He doesn't have a website, but his phone# is 828-593-9492. His business card says to call and leave a message.
Thanks for that information!

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 04:37:44 AM »
"Recently had a tour of the Navy depot at NAS Jacksonville FL; they have some huge multi-axis machining centers, Mazak, etc. interesting, none of them made in USA…"

The new shaft lathes ordered for the shipyards are Korean.
Kunk

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 06:01:24 PM »
  When it comes to flintlocks. L.C. has a wealth of knowledge and very willing to share it. That lock he had at the show ( actually two ) were like a flame thrower for sparks. I also ordered a couple..Great guy...!