Author Topic: I am interested in any information about firearms made by Seth Nelson  (Read 774 times)

Offline Manitou

• Starting Member
I am interested in any information (description or pictures) of guns attributed to Seth Nelson Sr., or Seth Nelson Junior.
Both worked in the Clinton/ Clearfield/ Elk County region of North Central Pennsylvania along the upper West Branch of the Susquehanna River. They had a gun shop along Big Sinnemahoning Creek near Alter Rock and Round Island.
I believe some of his guns are (or were) in a collection of Dr. Henry C. Mercer in Doylestown, PA., but I have never been able to see any pictures of them.
I will also continue to look for any information that I can find.
Thanks

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
I have a trip to the Mercer Museum in Doylestown planned for next week.  Actually, for the very same reason.
My interests are Upper Susquehanna rifles, primary Clinton County.  As you mentioned the home and shop of Seth Iredell Nelson Sr & Seth Iredell Nelson Jr was on Round Island, Sinnemahoning Creek in Clinton County, PA.   

I hope to come back with pictures of the rifles if they are still there and available.  I'll let you know and share.

Thanks,
O.R.

Offline Manitou

• Starting Member
OldRust,
I imagine that the rifles that they made were mostly cap lock rifles, although I have no proof of this.
I would very much love to see any pictures of the Nelson rifles. Thanks for taking the time to research these.
Manitou

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
I visited the Mercer Museum and there is quite a few of Seth Nelson Jr & Sr. blacksmith made tools, even a bear trap in the Museums display but no rifles attributed to the Nelsons. 
      A follow up with a Collections Manager shows nothing in the storage.  She indicated that almost all of the Nelson Sr, JR, tools on display came from the Col. Shoemaker in McElhatten, Clinton County PA collection.

Thanks,
O.R.