Author Topic: New rifle choices  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Leatherbark

Re: New rifle choices
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2024, 03:29:26 PM »
No matter the rifle, no matter the "game", I use the most accurate load for my shooting.
Picking an arbitrary (good enough) powder charge has never worked for me, but I am
a stickler for accuracy. To me, it matters.

My accuracy requirements are that the balls/bullets land in the space that the front sight "subtends" at the distance I am shooting.  If my front sight covers 6 inches of the target at 100 yards, and all of the balls landed under what my sight was covering then the rifle and I placed the shots where I was aiming, although I would say this would be minimum accuracy required as it could be a 6-inch group.

There are limitations and this is not relative in real life at all distances as I don't believe if my sight covers 6 feet of a target at 1000 yards, I'm going to get a 6 ft group LOL.

But for all practical purposes, if I have a 1/16-inch bead and it covers 1 inch of the target at 25 yards.  I would require all my shots to be at least 1-inch at 25 yards under the area the bead covers. This would all be determined with young and crisp eyes. I can no longer state a rifle is accurate as heck when I am the shooter.

Bob

Offline Daryl

Re: New rifle choices
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2024, 04:50:24 PM »

My accuracy requirements are that the balls/bullets land in the space that the front sight "subtends" at the distance I am shooting.  If my front sight covers 6 inches of the target at 100 yards, and all of the balls landed under what my sight was covering then the rifle and I placed the shots where I was aiming, although I would say this would be minimum accuracy required as it could be a 6-inch group.

There are limitations and this is not relative in real life at all distances as I don't believe if my sight covers 6 feet of a target at 1000 yards, I'm going to get a 6 ft group LOL.

But for all practical purposes, if I have a 1/16-inch bead and it covers 1 inch of the target at 25 yards.  I would require all my shots to be at least 1-inch at 25 yards under the area the bead covers. This would all be determined with young and crisp eyes. I can no longer state a rifle is accurate as heck when I am the shooter.

Bob

Not with round ball for sure - impossible. They will not "fly" that far.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V