Author Topic: New England Fowler 1791?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Parker88

• Starting Member
New England Fowler 1791?
« on: May 08, 2024, 12:33:27 AM »
I have recently come into posession of this Flintlock fowler. I have always admired the fowler for its balance as well as looks. It's a smooth bore measuring 1/2 inch. It's overall length is 51 1/2 inch There are no markings on the barrel. An interesting note is the eagle on the wrist. It is not of the quality of the engraving on the rest of the gun and appears to be added later, or by a different hand. on the banner above the eagle are 14 stars. A gunsmith noted that this might be a possible way to date it. the country only had 14 stars briefly and that was when vermont entered the union in 1791. Kentucky came in shortly thereafter and the new flag bore 15 stars. I dont know if there ever was a 14 star flag. There is also a couple of stamps on the underside of the stock which I first thought was a bee but could also be a partial four petal flower , incomplete due to the curvature of the sock. The stock is cherry. Thanks for viewing and thoughts.

multi image pictures

« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 12:45:46 AM by Parker88 »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: New England Fowler 1791?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 01:04:47 AM »
Hi,
Hopefully Joe Puleo will chime in.  Locks marked W. Ketland and Co. were made after 1808 so the gun has no direct connection with any events in 1791 but perhaps commemorative.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 01:39:03 AM »
A couple of points...
Counting the stars is a red herring. They mean nothing or, better said, there was no hard and fast rule. Sword collectors counted stars for years on decorated blades and hilts and it led to some odd, if not totally unrealistic dating.

Smart Dog is right about the lock but the earliest possible date is 1801/1802 when WK went into business under his own name. A date more like 1805 is more realistic.

It's an extremely nice fowler. That Eagle escutcheon is very nice and a feature often associated with Holbrook. I had a very similar fowler and, like yours, it was not marked with the maker's name. Holbrook was an excellent maker, one of the very best.

The importation of locks did not start until late in 1792. Until then they were under an embargo placed on military stores in 1775 so virtually all guns with English trade quality locks have to post date November, 1792.

Offline Parker88

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 02:10:53 AM »
Thank you so much for your time! Is there any significance in the little "Bee" stamp on the stock-it in two places

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 04:14:36 AM »
I don't know but I doubt it. Perhaps an owner's mark so it could be identified if stolen? The period newspapers carry a lot of advertisements calling for the return of stolen guns and offering a reward and this is a very above average fowler so the owner may have wanted it to have some very distinctive mark.