Author Topic: From the last century  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Tenmile

From the last century
« on: June 20, 2024, 11:02:36 PM »
I bought this rifle in the early 60’s from Jackson Arms in Dallas. I don’t know who made it or when. My guess is maybe the 1930’s or 1940’s. It looked like this when I got it. It is 36 cal and was made as a target rifle as there is no half cock. The trigger has to be set to cock it. Bobby Hoyt freshened the barrel some years ago. It is quite accurate. Whoever the maker was, he was talented. The v-shaped engraving is uniform everywhere. The checkering is well done and the inlays are well fit. Screws are set square and embellished. Horn beetles ate part of the ramrod tip. Whoever the maker was, I don’t think this was his only rifle.
Lynn

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: From the last century
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 01:30:58 AM »
Agree, very nice workmanship.
Andover, Vermont

Offline DGB

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 04:07:55 AM »
Looks like a Billy Veitor gun from the area around Reelsville,In.
He worked before and after WW2,
. Made rifles from older parts and whatever worked.
If it is his work, it made it a long way from home.
Info can be found in a book _Titled X- Center Shooting in the Wabash Valley.
Author is Aubrey Williams, of Indiana.
Looks like several of his guns, but the ones I have seen were stamped with his name.
Most of his guns stayed around the area and were used in the local shooting matches.
Regards, DGB

Offline bpd303

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 05:21:27 AM »
Very nice and .36 cal is a plus, I cut my teeth so to speak with my grandfathers .36 cal Ohio Vincent flintlock some 70 years ago.
Randy aka bpd303        Arkansas Ozarks

Train for tomorrow, as you never know what it will bring to the fight.
I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Offline Tenmile

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 05:26:27 PM »
You’ve got a good eye DGB. I found an article on Indiana Antique Arms Collectors Association. There is a picture of several rifles that must be twins to this one. The patch box, checkering, triggerguard, muzzle cap, and general architecture is very similar. One difference I noticed is that most of those were pinned at the forestock whereas mine is held by a screw through the bottom into a ring to allow for the ramrod. This screw is shown in the photo above. Thanks for the lead. It’s not surprising that a rifle made it to Texas from Indiana. Red Jackson traveled all over the country collecting guns.
Lynn

Offline Howard

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 11:09:06 PM »
This is a Wm. H. Vietor rifle. The earliest one that I have seen is dated 1918.  He died in March 1968. I was one of the pallbearers. He made violins too. I got his tools and parts. thanks for posting that.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2024, 02:10:03 AM »
Nice rifle, and now you know who made it!
John
John Robbins