Author Topic: May Postal Match  (Read 2024 times)

Offline alacran

May Postal Match
« on: May 02, 2024, 03:05:49 PM »
Thank you Taylor for coming up with something different for April's match.
For May we will be shooting the National Shooting Sports Foundation bulls eye target.

The target will be shot standing at 50 yards.
You may use a rifle or a smoothbore.
The scoring for the rifle will be as specified on the target.
The scoring for the smoothbore will be as follows; The X ring will be an X. The 10 and 9 ring will count as a 10. The 6, 7 and 8 ring will count as a 9.
Half ball scoring for both rifle and smoothbore.
Some of us have rifles only and some have smoothbores only. I think this will be a fair fight between the two.
You can shoot both if you have them but only one will count for score. Have fun!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline okawbow

Re: May Postal Match
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 05:31:46 PM »
5 shots? Can we shoot more than 1 target?
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 07:46:28 PM »
Yes 5 shots, shoot as many as you like. Your best target will be what counts for score. Thanks for pointing that out.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 09:07:54 PM »
Looks good, targets printed. Currently getting the trailer loaded for the summer.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 02:36:54 AM »
Had one of these targets left, so used it for 50yd practice off hand for this weekends club match. I used my 48” barrel York flintlock I made a few years ago. 70 gr. 2f .530 ball denim patch.

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 01:37:25 PM »
Good start Okawbow! I score it a 42. The weather is warming up, so I hope to see many more entries.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 07:54:48 PM »
No support such as leaning on a tree?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 09:07:26 PM by HighUintas »

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 09:15:51 PM »
Here's what I was able to accomplish today. These won't count for score since it isn't the right target and I have a couple of Mulligan shots in there. I just wanted to get some practice and play along.

I shot my 58 caliber rifle flintlock. My practice load of 65 grains, a 0.570 ball, and Joanne's 12 oz denim with hops black powder cleaner as lube.

A shot standing up, offhand, and leaning my Buttstock shoulder up against the range station divider because I wanted to be able to hit the paper  ;D I had two Mulligan shots because I knew they were off the paper or nearly so and figured the extra practice wouldn't hurt since I'm not scoring this target.

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 02:43:54 PM »
Glad to see you are out shooting. That target you used has a black that is only 1/4 inch wider than what we are using.
Yes standing or offhand means no support other than your arms to hold up the rifle.
Only way to learn how to do that is by doing it.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 09:11:28 PM »
I don’t see a link to click on to print these targets, what am I missing?

Tony

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 09:42:03 PM »
nssf.org/shooting/targets/
That is where you will find the target. They are not numbered it is the eighth target down on the right column.
If there is a way of posting as a link, I am ignorant of how it is done.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 10:42:08 PM »
nssf.org/shooting/targets/
That is where you will find the target. They are not numbered it is the eighth target down on the right column.
If there is a way of posting as a link, I am ignorant of how it is done.

Thank you sir!

Offline okawbow

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 11:02:29 PM »

Offline alacran

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 02:12:37 PM »
Thanks, Okabow for posting the link.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2024, 06:35:55 AM »
Gonna try to get this shot but have been busy. 
With “things”. 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline alacran

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2024, 03:10:27 PM »
I've been wanting to shoot it too just for fun. The weather however has not been cooperating. If the forecast holds out, I may be able to try it on Thursday.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2024, 04:15:01 PM »
Surely someone can beat my target! If you don’t turn in a better score, I will come up with a target everyone hates!

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2024, 11:34:35 PM »
I am going to hope that I can get out to officially participate tomorrow after work for an 11th hour submission.

Offline alacran

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2024, 02:34:26 PM »
I finally got out yesterday to shoot this target of course it doesn't count. I thought to use my Getz barreled .40 caliber squirrel rifle. Have not shot it since my last squirrel hunt in December. I was using 50 grains of 3f Dupont powder, with a .395 ball patched with bear lubed Jo'Ann's drill.
I shot it offhand at 50 yards.

I shot the target on the left first. The group on the right-hand target is a little better but they both score a 43.
This is the last day and hopefully we will have a few more entries.
So far Okabow is leading against all comers with a 42.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2024, 12:15:47 AM »
Nothin' like leaving it to the last...but I finally got to shoot May's target and I post it here.

I used my Chamber's Virginia rifle in .60 cal. with .590" pure lead balls, 10 oz. denim pre-cut patches and water/Ballistol 10:1 for lube.  I score it 44/50, but as always, defer to the match judge....shot standing offhand lazer'd 50 yards.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2024, 01:52:17 PM »
Better late than never Taylor! Taylor had the highest score of 44 so he is May's Postal Match winner. Once again Taylor proves that he is a shooter.
It is up to Taylor to come up with something for June. Congratulations Taylor!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2024, 03:52:49 AM »
Many thanks alacran!  I struggled with 50 yards offhand...lack of practice rears its ugly head.  I can't believe how much I've aged in one year.  Ha!!
I'll think up a target and match for June, and announce it tomorrow...so stand by.
Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.