Author Topic: Choosing a stock wood  (Read 877 times)

Offline Kurt

Choosing a stock wood
« on: May 28, 2024, 08:04:03 AM »
Standard maple or cherry which will make the darker stock and what is the best way to get each one dark? Thank you

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Choosing a stock wood
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 01:05:20 PM »
Cherry stained with ferric nitrate, (iron saturated aquafortis), will turn black. To get plain maple very dark, use the dye-type stains. Others who have used tannic acid on plain maple can share their results; I haven’t used it. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 04:59:37 PM »
If you want something very dark go with plain maple in my opinion. There are LOT of ways to stain it dark to black!
I wouldn't waste the beauty of cherry by blackening it, IMHO.
Tom C.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 05:45:08 PM »
Plain Maple with tannic acid and ferric nitrate.
As close to black as I could get it.

Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kurt

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 03:55:26 AM »
When I see a curly maple stock with a lot of end grain I see the dark color I want. Just small amounts of the amber straight grain, but that is fancy I assume. I've tried to find pictures but I can't.

This cherry stock I like very much. It is by a builder who goes by pathfinderNC on another forum of which I am not a member. I like it and assume there is some stain involved. Any suggestions on what was done with this stock?

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 05:50:59 AM »
Hi - yes that is one of my Kibler rifle builds- I’m glad you like it!
I stained the Cherry using alkaline dyes (powdered) that I mixed. I then rubbed it back with a fine 3M pad and final burnishing with paper. Sealed with shellac and finished with paste wax.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 05:09:31 PM »
Mr. Gerard, thank you for your reply and the information. After seeing your work I think if I try to build a rifle I will go with cherry in the slim hope I will come close to what you have done.