Author Topic: is this the welome wagon ?  (Read 4728 times)

peabody

is this the welome wagon ?
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:28:48 AM »
hello,

im a new guy to this site,  read a post by waksupi, and followed it here,

glad i did,  im just an old tanker truck driver, who dreams of southern style poor boy longrifles,

wishes i had some talent, dont have anything to add, just came over to look, learn, and drool alot.

wow, some awsome beauitfull rifles.

peabody

jwh1947

Re: is this the welome wagon ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
You don't need talent.  I am living proof.

Michael

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
Peabody,

Welcome aboard!!

Michael

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »
You don't need talent to make a nice rifle, just patience.

I was once in awe of an artist who drew absolutely great caricature cartoons at work of supervisors(much to their dismay). I told him I wish I had his talent. What he told me stuck with me and is responsible for every crafty project I ever tackled.

He said he wasn't a talented artist but one who practiced the same things over and over until he learned the technique to create the desired effect.

I took his words to heart and being a duck hunter I tried my hand at carving wooden decoys. My first looked like I chopped it out with an axe, after i passed #15 they looked like they could get up an fly away, I had learned the necessary carving techniques.

Next came bow making, same progression over time, from crude to some of the best.

Now I just finished my first rifle .  I find in gun building you have the same progression but can learn the necessary construction  techniques as you work your way from buttplate to nose cap. of your first rifle . You will also learn how to fix or cover up the inevitable goof ups.

Give gun building a try, it is a great pastime.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:58:43 PM by Eric Krewson »

peabody

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
thanks guys . for the kind words.

but ? dont thinks i can afford #15 gun kits.  ha !!

? you've got me thinking about it.

it would be nice to be able to say, that i put it together my self.

i just wishes one of you lived closer to me,

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:01:43 PM »
"but ? don't thinks i can afford #15 gun kits.  ha !!"

You could always take the lead from ROLFKT on this forum(go back about three pages in the "Gunbuilding" thread)--  make practice stocks out of cheaper wood.

In fact, I got some scraps from Wayne Dunlop at Dixon's to use just for that purpose, since I've never tried carving in curly maple.

-Joe

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »
Don't think about gun #15.

This is the kind of thing you must take one gun at a time. The one you're working on is the best gun you've ever made. Besides being a challenge, gun building is tremendous fun.

Welcome aboard, and take your time to cruise around the different sections of the forum. Somewhere along the way, you'll find things that pique your interest.  Enjoy!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
i just wishes one of you lived closer to me,
You don't say where you live.  There probably is someone who lives close to you.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

ottawa

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »
welcome aboard a little friendly advice to some new comers  invest in a waterproof guard for your key board or a big bib to soak up the drool ;D this place and ppl are awesome with addvise and helping anyone out from a build on a rifle to how to fix yourself up when you slip with that chisel.
Ben

jwh1947

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:37:47 AM »
Pick up a book on gunbuilding, Dixon's manual is good and there are others as well, and just do it.  Don't be in a hurry and make fun out of it.  Bet ya' can't make just one. Know that if you reach an apparent impasse, we are here to offer suggestions.  Notice, we don't hide stuff.