Author Topic: Axe Question  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Thimble Farm

• Starting Member
Axe Question
« on: May 23, 2024, 06:58:00 PM »
I was hoping that you could provide some comments on this early hatchet in my collection, images are attached, for my own edification. I purchased it in Southern Indiana by Vincennes where the 8th Regiment was involved during the American Revolution. But I am not sure whether it is French style.

On the one side of the hatchet, there appears to be blacksmith initials and the number “4”. On the other side, are more marks, not sure whether proof marks, rack numbers, “8” with a “P” or “F”? The axe appears to be 18th century, hand forged. Not sure whether I also see a faint broad arrow mark on the side with the “8”.

I added the handle.

I am wondering whether this is an old 8th regiment axe given its found location.

The head is slightly under 7 inches long.

face with medical mask smileys

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Axe Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 08:10:55 PM »
It looks to be a biscayne style. Here’s a good page on those axes. Biscayne refers to the Basque people who may have developed the style. Most of this style are French as you guessed. https://www.furtradetomahawks.com/biscayne-trade-axes---9.html
Andover, Vermont

Offline Thimble Farm

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 08:35:46 PM »
interesting...I am very well acquainted with that website.

attached are some images from the Kravic Collection of British Military issued axes 18th Century (all on the left), with regimental and/or broad arrow markings.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 04:22:22 AM »
Hard for me to make out the touch marks. They’d be guesswork for me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Levy

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2024, 11:11:58 PM »
I agree with Rich.  Seen a lot of this style recovered from Spanish shipwrecks and from Mission sites around Tallahassee, FL.  James Levy
James Levy