Author Topic: LaMaster Arms Gunshow  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

LaMaster Arms Gunshow
« on: June 14, 2024, 05:16:30 PM »
LaMaster Arms 2nd online virtual gun show started this morning. He has some interesting guns on there for sale.

Offline Ats5331

Re: LaMaster Arms Gunshow
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 05:18:51 PM »
Neat, I'll check it out! Thank you

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 06:09:27 PM »
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 08:38:46 PM »
That's an interesting bunch of guns!
And it's interesting seeing some of my old guns, #24, 36, and 45 there, and comparing what I paid for them, what I sold them for, and finally what he is asking. And a few other things.... 8)

I imagine that more than a few guys here could say the same.  :D

John
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 10:04:22 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 10:03:51 PM »
All of my interactions with Brian have been easy and pleasant, and boy he really knows his stuff. I bought (for me) a high dollar (xx,xxx.00) gun from him having only seen photos, but then he is a master of the craft, former KRA president, etc. I will actually get my hands on it next week in Mars, PA. A little anticipation for something you have wanted for 50 years is a good thing!

Wishing you all luck,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 11:08:30 PM »
4:00 PM day 1.

Only 1 apparent sale.  It remains an appealing concept.  Sure, his photos and descriptions and knowledge are #1.  But I don't buy socks except "in person".  Cannot spend $xxxxxxxxxx dollars based on a photo and description.  I wonder if a lot of the offerings are well traveled guns meaning that they have been to multiple shows and offered many time over several/many years.  It's always a puzzle to me that a seller put things on their table for sale and does not price them.  Cannot tell you how many times I have passed up an offering because there was no price.  Must have taken some strong measures to get people to price them, with his help I'm sure.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 11:51:45 PM »
Al for the most part I agree with you, only rarely will I buy sight unseen (in hand), but I had been following this gun for a couple of years through the previous owner (also a very highly regarded KRA member). I had the approval of several long-time collectors who had handled the rifle as well. Not saying my transaction was in any way typical, but I had multiple "do its" from knowledgeable mentors with none saying don't, and found Brian to be a man of his word as everyone had told me. Just my experience. It also makes it easier on those of us who need days just to travel to a show; it would be different if I were in NOVA or Pennsylvania...

PS: like you I generally pass over stuff that is unpriced, as I interpret this as Caveat Emptor: "I'll take as much of your money as I can". When I sell it it will have a reasonable price or be marked as not-for-sale.

Hope to see you and Mary at a show soon.
Warmest regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2024, 12:46:59 AM »
Those condition would warrant the risk of not holding it.  For certain it would not be a stranger.  I might be inclined to leap before looking if the gun were of deep interest.  I feel that probably much of what is offered on this "virtual gun show" are somewhat known guns as if Brian's description is not sufficient...which it is.  For 3 maybe 4 k I might bend my rule.  For $25,000....that's over my pay grade.

We are out of circulation and have been for months.  May get to the CLA show.  Not attending KRA and failed to make any of the regional shows. since the fall.  This "virtual" show is great for me and I have been waiting with deep interest although not expecting to buy anything.  I wish he would do one a month!  It may not yield a purchase but it sure is fun to observe and make notes on offerings and potential sales prices so it is indeed educational.  I honestly feel that is an important element of his efforts.

Regards to you and yours.

ACS

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2024, 05:44:48 AM »
Many of these guns appear to be good "middle range" items that collectors (like many of us) were buying years ago when building collections. This sale has many attributed guns, and others have significant restoration but look good. In today's market, where fewer younger collectors are building collections, and most of us have already built the bulk of our collections and are beginning to think about "What should I do with all this stuff?" issues, these middle-of-the-road guns don't resonate as strongly as they once did.

I can't speak for others, but for me to purchase a new piece, it has to offer something special, something fresh, something interesting for me, before I chase it... and as I age, I much prefer signed guns to attributed guns... even if the attribution is solid. This is an aging club that collects Kentuckies, and many of us will not pay top dollar for a mid-range rifle anymore. We've all had enough of those in the past, probably still own a bunch, and now seek the more special examples out there that are harder to find, but a lot more rewarding when we do find one. If I drop significant money today, and I still do at times, I want it to excite me, to make me want to stay up late and study it, and to make me feel really good about the purchase. Mid-range guns just don't do that anymore... and maybe that's why we'll see some of these same rifles up for sale again in Brian's next sale.

Shelby Gallien   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 07:27:07 AM by Tanselman »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2024, 03:50:42 PM »
Shelby,  I always enjoy your insite on things.  One thing you may be forgeting. For some a mid range rifle is there high end rifle . The pride of there collection. A plain Leonard Reedy is better than no Leonard Reedy.From the wide range of rifles I see posted here people are as excited about a  $300.00 gun as they are a $30,000.00 one. You  and I included. Because we all love this old stuff. I think , and hope Brian will do fine with this site as the word gets out and more new and old collectors decover it. When the economy improves  and more  disposable income becomes available that will be the most help.  There is a small amount of collectors interested in long rifles compared to other types of firearms. Always has been . I don't know why, I think there the greatest  thing ever all different yet the same. Just some rambling over my morning coffee.   Jim
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 04:26:50 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2024, 03:58:37 PM »
That's well put.  Just stumbled upon the Contemporary BlogSpot last night and was looking at tons of pictures from recent shows.  I know why they put chairs around....most are too old to stand up for long. (Including me.)  It is not a warm and fuzzy feeling to think that so many of these good people are as old as they are.  They sit before a table of offerings, priced, probably too high, and reflecting on their collections.  And they return to show after show until someday the show is over.  But that's sort of what "we" all do.  We reflect on what we have and contemplate it's history and history in general.  No matter how common there is great pleasure in ownership even the most humble of horns, bags, knives and guns.  Personally, I pity the "collector" who spend a bundle just to own it without understanding what IT is.  If one cannot connect to an item as Shelby apparently does, then ownership seems to miss the point.  It's a joy to share the excitement of a special item with a fellow collector.  Thank goodness for that!  I'll miss the big show later this month, first time in a while and the President's display is guns from the Valley of Virginia.  And I think there will be a special presentation by one of the hobbies most notable characters on the subject...but then so on and so forth, etc., etc. etc.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2024, 04:28:10 PM »
I might have purchased from this show. The only thing is that Poulin auctions had a big sale last weekend and I spent my fun money there. I know scheduling is tough but maybe avoid close proximity to the big auction sales.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2024, 05:54:40 PM »
Some neat stuff there.  The weird early rifle is interesting but no way do I see it as American, although it may have been used here for quite some time especially looking at how the lock has been worked over.  Looks considerably earlier than 1740s too.  And Angstadts in Macungie?  News to me.

I like the Roth swivel breech.  Looks shootable, and if so, I think that's a good price for what it is and the great condition.  Find someone to build it for that now!

I give him a lot of credit for being forward-thinking as to how to reach many people with these, as opposed to just waiting on shows to haul them back and forth.  Good photography, too.

Shelby's comments are spot-on imho as to the state of things here in 2024.  If I'm gonna 'put out'  :P it better being something that I can shoot, or it better be very unique and exciting.

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!