Author Topic: 1770's English Officer's Fusil Build  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Mgray

• Starting Member
Re: 1770's English Officer's Fusil Build
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2024, 03:59:49 PM »
Hi D. Taylor Sapergia,

Great eye and thank you for pointing that out! That actually reminds me I have not posted the final final pictures of the lock. These pictures are from before I did anything to the mainspring. I added a bit more of a bend to the spring which increased whippines as well as changed the position on the toe of the tumbler. The toe of the sear did have a bit of a lip on it as well. That has been filed off. Once it is engraved I'll post the final lock pictures.

-Maria
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 04:14:44 PM by Mgray »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2024, 07:21:31 PM »
Hi Taylor,
When Maris took that photo the mainspring barely exerted any pressure on the tumbler when at rest so the flint cock would wobble back and forth when at rest.  That changed when we added more arc to the spring and then hardened and tempered it.  Maria may need to do that again to add even more power to the spring.  We want the hook to rest a little bit up the toe when the lock is at rest.  That way, the travel up the toe ends with the end of the hook tucked right against the instep of the tumbler when going from half to full cock.  That creates a condition in which the tumbler rotates around the end of the hook rather than just lift it higher as you bring the lock to full cock.  Consequently, there is significant let off of force needed to cock the lock.  If you ever cock one of Jim Kibler's round-faced English locks, you will experience the same feature.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2024, 12:06:52 AM »
That's a cool feature, similar to a compound bow, as well as the Asiatic bows.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 12:13:43 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2024, 03:29:20 PM »
Hi,
The fusil is coming along.  Here are a few photos of the stock project in its early stages.

Here is Maria armed against walnut dust.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."