Author Topic: My collection  (Read 1468 times)

Offline debnal

My collection
« on: June 13, 2024, 03:44:37 AM »
My wife and I built our dream home and I got a gunroom! I got tired of keeping my collection in a safe and decided to put them on the wall. Every morning I sit down with a cup of coffee and visit with my "Friends." I have been very myopic in my collecting. I only collect identified Revolutionary War items. The first picture is of three fowlers, and a John Hancock signed Congressional commission/archive. The top fowler was carried by a man who marched on Lexington/Concord. The second picture is four muskets, the second one carried by a soldier at Lexington/Concord. The third picture is my powder horns, pistol and swords. Two of the horns may have been at Lexington/Concord. The second sword down may have been there also. They are identified to men who marched on the alarm. Additionally, the bottom sword belonged to Captain Stephen Decatur, father of Stephen Decatur of War of 1812 fame. The fourth picture is a Hudson Vally fowler and Hudson Vally flintlock pistol.
Al

Offline Stoner creek

Re: My collection
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2024, 04:08:25 AM »
Good on you!! These things are nothing more than dust collectors unless we share them with others. There are a lot of folks who own some very impressive collections that are safely tucked away in a safe or closet and never see the light of day.
W
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 04:11:40 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline debnal

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 04:36:07 AM »
Thanks for your comments. I used to be paranoid about displaying them but have taken reasonable steps to mitigate the problem. I built my house on 80 acres with my son. We have a 1/4 mile driveway. We have state of the art home security and cameras. I have 8 pistols and rifles/shotguns locked and loaded throughout the house. I have an Anatolian Sheepdog (140+ pounds) for a watchdog. Lastly, I have great gun insurance, Plus, I live in arguably the most gun friendly state (OK). Good place for a Rev War collection!
Al

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 04:43:52 AM »
Beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 05:02:59 AM »
As a dam yankee (born in MA thanks to the Army draft, lived most of my life in Alabama), I love your gunroom! I tend to collect stuff that could have been owned by my ancestors (English, 1619; French, 1700, both sides from Williamsburg). Having had numerous ancestors who fought in the Revolution I admire your collection.

Well done!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024, 05:05:09 AM »
Nice rainbow too.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2024, 01:42:39 PM »
Appreciate you sharing your collection with us!

Which British ship do you have?

I think it is great to have Decatur's father's sword. Did you read The Six Frigates? The book is about the birth of the U.S. Navy. The younger Decatur played a pivotal role.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2024, 01:47:38 PM »
Nice collection Al

Offline debnal

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2024, 04:00:18 PM »
Decatur's sword is very interesting. It came directly from the family with an affidavit. It was in a major auction along with other items form him. I was outbid on his pair of his flint pistols but got the sword. I spent 24 years in the U S Navy, so it was very special for me. He was a major player in the Rev War and his son in the War of 1812. In those days father's passed down items to their sons so this sword may have actually belonged to the son. So it may have been at the USS Philadelphia incident during the Barbary Wars. it is the only item in my collection that is not directly identified on the piece. But the family association was strong.
Al

Offline debnal

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2024, 04:12:51 PM »
Westbury,
I have two British ships. The one in the picture is the HMS Bellona (1790-1830) by Charles Miller. I have another, Isabella (17th century), an antique model of an English yacht.
Al

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2024, 04:17:20 PM »
Al, CONGRATULATIONS !  That is no easy feat. Owner identified items from the Rev war are rare. I'm sure it took alot of time and effort to put these together. I see you still have the New England sword you got from me at that meeting we had in Joplin. Have you found out any more information on Mr. Poole ?
I'm lucky enough to have one  owner identified item from the war.  Looking at it sure gets the blood flowing. I can imagine the honor and joy you feel every morning . Thanks for sharing.   Jim
JIM

Offline debnal

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2024, 04:41:02 PM »
Jim,
I remember getting that sword from you that very well! I really love that sword.  Actually, Abjiah Pool marched and fought at Lexington/Concord! He was in Capt. Thomas Eaton's company and entered the battle at Concord. Documented in "Muster Rolls of the Participating Companies of American Militia and Minutemen in the Battle of April 19, 1775.". A rare book but very necessary for my collecting interests.
The collection represents 50 years of collecting. I started out these items were fairly inexpensive but have gotten pricey in recent years.
Al

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2024, 05:01:40 PM »
Absolutely spectacular Al!  And what is the provenance of the two dogs?   ;D
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2024, 05:56:57 PM »
What a fine collection, and a great way to display it!
Thanks for sharing it!
John
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2024, 06:51:03 PM »
 Al, I cannot thank you enough for sharing your wonderous historical collection with us!!!

You've done a fine job putting together the rarest of the rare artifacts of the birth of our nation!
Joel Hall

Offline homerifle

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2024, 06:52:51 PM »
Very Nice! Thanks for sharing with us.

Offline DaveM

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2024, 07:31:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Very nice!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2024, 01:21:27 AM »
Very Nice collection. We might be neighbors.
Psalms 144

Offline debnal

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2024, 01:36:16 AM »
Clark,
I live just outside of Durant.
Regards,
Al

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2024, 03:54:01 AM »
Clark,
I live just outside of Durant.
Regards,
Al
Well, we’re neighbors in the figurative sense. I’m in Verdigris.
Psalms 144

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2024, 05:50:00 AM »
You got cool stuff!

Offline Pro Libertate

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2024, 06:58:10 AM »
Pretty incredible! How neat to be able to surround yourself with the things that you love.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2024, 08:27:15 AM »
Good for you!  It is awesome you now have a great space to display your collection.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing