Author Topic: Question from a beginner  (Read 914 times)

Offline satwel

Question from a beginner
« on: June 17, 2024, 05:16:46 PM »
I am considering building a small priming horn, possibly a flat one. I've been building flintlock rifles and smoothbores for 30 years but this will be my first attempt at a horn. For a priming horn is it better to start with a small horn or can I use a regular size horn and cut off most of the open end?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Question from a beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 07:46:34 PM »
Priming horn = Powder horn
Powder horn = Priming horn
😁
Psalms 144

Offline J.D.

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 08:00:28 PM »
I'm not an expert horner, however I have made a few. IMHO, you would be better off using a small horn, as opposed to cutting down a larger horn. The medium to large horns sometimes have a very long, solid tip, and thicker walls, which can be a problem when attempting to make priming horns, though the tip can be cut off, above the the end of the cavity. IMHO, using a larger horn to cut down would be more work to thin the tip and walls of the horn. That said, if that is all you have access to is a medium/larger horn, it will work.

That said, IMHO, priming horns are more of a PITA to use than priming from the main horn. I doubt that there will be any appreciable difference in time from spark to discharge, even when priming with 2F powder.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 10:19:14 PM »
What JD said.

John (Bigsmoke)

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 11:53:44 PM »
I don't always make priming horns but when I do I use small horns not cut off pieces from large horns.

Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline J.D.

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2024, 02:00:33 AM »
That was classic, Dan. LOLOL

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 04:07:55 AM »
My priming horns are all made from small horns.   They are light and carry plenty of powder.  If you are lucky enough to find a matched set, they really look great with your shooting bag.  I am just finishing a set but they are black tipped.  Take your time till you find what you want.  they will last a lifetime.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2024, 06:42:48 PM »
Here is one made by Ed Mcdilda a number of years ago.  Only approx 5 1/2 long without the stopper.  Width is 5/8 thick using a piece of white horn covering a smaller piece of wood stopper.  The tip is applied turned horn. 
Gary.

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 05:40:45 PM »
 What you want is something very thin, looking at the base the thinner the better. Small horns are the way to go. Sometimes you can find them at a stock sale, I bought a small box full at a Flea Market once. At Flea markets and Yard sales you may find old hat/coat racks made with horns are also good candidates.
 Try to find the ones with a hollow that goes way up in the tip, be the only guy at a flea market carrying a bent coat hanger :)

Tim C.