Author Topic: Kibler patch box not a tight fit.  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Asahi1234

• Starting Member
Kibler patch box not a tight fit.
« on: May 31, 2024, 08:30:49 PM »
My patch box is a not tight. It is a little snug but not as tight. I sanded a  the box a little to much. How can I make it a little tighter fit. Thanks for your help.

Offline okawbow

Re: Kibler patch box not a tight fit.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 08:44:52 PM »
Order a new one. Not too expensive.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 08:54:09 PM »
Hi,
Not seeing photos, I cannot be sure my comment is appropriate but don't fret too much if the box lid is a little loose because when the weather gets humid, your tight box may swell and not slide at all.  A little free way is a good thing. Moreover, when you stain and add finish to the wood, it will swell a bit.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline jstedfast

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 09:42:57 PM »
Hi,
Not seeing photos, I cannot be sure my comment is appropriate but don't fret too much if the box lid is a little loose because when the weather gets humid, your tight box may swell and not slide at all.  A little free way is a good thing. Moreover, when you stain and add finish to the wood, it will swell a bit.

dave

I can confirm that this happened for me. I had what I thought was a good fit, but after staining and applying several coats of Permalyn Sealer, it is very tight.

I will probably be trying to file things a bit to loosen them up.

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2024, 09:57:38 PM »
There is a latch that holds it in place.  As others have said, it needs to be a little loose because things tighten up after finishing.  Also it needs a little room to accommodate expansion from humidity changes.

That said, If it is extremely loose for some reason, just let us know.  Don't know how it would be this way, but you never know.

Jim

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 11:23:42 PM »
I also found that waxing inside the dovetails and the lid glides, that it is less prone to swelling.

Offline satwel

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2024, 01:22:23 AM »
You may want to wait until July or August to decide if you want to correct the fit and by how much. I once fit the sliding patchbox on one of my rifles during the winter months. What a surprise when Summer rolled around. To this day that patchbox lid welds itself shut during June, July and August. Since I don't store anything inside, I never bothered adjusting the fit so it could open year round. Previous posters have offered good suggestions on how to tighten it up should you decide to.

Offline Hawg

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2024, 01:35:33 AM »
I had mine to where it was a nice easy to slide fit. After I stained it I have to bump it pretty hard with the heel of my hand to get it started. After it moves 1/2 inch or so it's easy. I never use it so I haven't bothered to fix it.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2024, 07:14:57 AM »
I had mine to where it was a nice easy to slide fit. After I stained it I have to bump it pretty hard with the heel of my hand to get it started. After it moves 1/2 inch or so it's easy. I never use it so I haven't bothered to fix it.

All you need is a skew chisel to clear the finish from the dove tail.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2024, 04:48:40 PM »
Also in addition to what was said before the lid is tapered. Sometimes removing a little wood from the dovetail nose will allow it to slide in a little further to tighten things up. If it is a bit short then that is a good excuse to add the brass end cap. Which I really like that addition.
Jeff

Thank you
Jeff

Offline c deperro

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2024, 02:56:16 AM »
You want a wooden patch box loose other wise when it swells from the humidity in the air it will not open. I know of several that can not be opened and have been that way for years.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2024, 02:50:58 PM »
All those really nice shavings you make with that really sharp plane or spokeshave make pretty good shims when carefully trimmed and carefully glued.   ( don’t ask me how I know.)
Mike Mullins