Author Topic: long Rifle barrel marked **bington & Grimes  (Read 1043 times)

Offline hopping

• Starting Member
long Rifle barrel marked **bington & Grimes
« on: June 16, 2024, 01:56:20 AM »
I have a left handed poor boy percussion long rifle in the shop with a barrel marked ++bington & Grimes.  Has anyone heard of this maker?  The barrel is marked near the breech on the underside with a roll stamp.  The lock is a common mid 1800s commercial lock.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 01:59:38 AM by hopping »

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: long Rifle barrel marked **bington & Grimes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 05:50:41 AM »
https://www.earmi.it/usa%20gunmakers/g.html
GRIMES, Daniel
 Sheridan, Lebanon, Co., Pa. Possibly made barrels only

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 07:38:07 PM »
According to the 1870 and 1880 census, this Daniel Grimes was a "gun barrel maker". In 1900 he was a farmer. I don't know about the other stamping, but some Pennsylvania gun collector can probably fill in the first couple letters in his name

Offline Jacob_S_P

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 09:43:24 PM »
I read that name somewhere in a list of barrel makers who made barrels along the river in PA that were sold as pre made barrels to builders through hardware stores like locks and the other hardware. I think I was researching Pennabacker barrels when I read across this name.
The marking being positioned out of sight tells me the actual builder picked out the best part and positioned it in the stock as the visible side. The guard looks like it was also perhaps ordered as a component and installed without further styling or file shaping.
Nice old rig some old timer made and used.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 09:23:54 PM »
curious about the left-handed lock.  Could it have been intended for (or from) a SxS, with drip-rail style barrels?  the flat area in front of the drum cut-out looks like what is often seen on those. 

Doesn't matter, still cool, AND it's left-handed!  Someone decided they needed it ;D

Offline hopping

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 05:55:27 PM »
I think that is a possibility.  The engravings on the lock are similar to H. Elwell's shotgun locks.  The maker could have bought a pair of SxS locks and used one on a right handed rifle and one on a left handed rifle.

All furniture on this rifle are store bought except the barrel lugs and the lock screw which threads into the barrel tang.  The maker made the stock out of soft wood like birch and that is why the stock broke at the grip.  The rifle seems to be from 1850 to 1860.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 11:22:42 PM »
Interesting oldie and left handed as well.That makes it a rare rare among antique guns.I think that is a lock made for a shot gun and never really intended for a drum and nipple but adapted to the extent possible.
Bob Roller