Author Topic: Peter Kuntz attributed converted flintlock  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Peter Kuntz attributed converted flintlock
« on: July 14, 2024, 02:48:23 PM »

« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 02:35:38 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Unknown maker converted flintlock
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2024, 05:07:36 PM »
Nice rifle!
Upper river?
John
John Robbins

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 06:39:58 PM »
Rob,

That dog and Johnny Walker appear to be a later addition. Engravings exceptional. Got any more pictures?

Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 08:10:59 PM »
Buck, until you said that, and I pulled up the pictures to see why, I never really looked at the photos I took closely. I had only looked at the Rifle. The picture of the patch box lid seems to show there was a name engraved on it previously, but I may be seeing things that aren’t there.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 09:27:51 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 08:24:14 PM »
Kuntz feel to the patch box . I'm ok with the man and dog for whatever that's worth. There appears to be a stud on the front of the trigger guard. Do you have any pictures of the bottom looking at the trigger guard ? Top of the tang, forend and a good side view.  Pretty,pretty rifle.   Jim
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 08:32:35 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 10:49:19 PM »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2024, 11:11:48 PM »
Northampton County. Kuntz or Kuntz parts. Maybe Peter or Adam. I love playing the guessing game.   Jim
JIM

Offline Buck

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2024, 02:21:54 PM »
Rob,

I like it. I agree with Jim on the hardware / engraving - not sure on the stock.

Jim,

The detail behind the Lock / Lock Plate Panels - the disruption of the "beaver Tails / Tear Drops". Wasn't that a Kuntz detail as well?

Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2024, 02:59:18 PM »
Rob,

That dog and Johnny Walker appear to be a later addition. Engravings exceptional. Got any more pictures?

Buck

Hey Noel, Looking at other examples of Peter Kuntz work, It appears That dog was a recurring theme.

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Peter Kuntz attributed converted flintlock
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2024, 04:27:09 PM »
Jim,

The detail behind the Lock / Lock Plate Panels - the disruption of the "beaver Tails / Tear Drops". Wasn't that a Kuntz detail as well?

Buck
[/quote]
 Noel, Yes . That's a Kuntz marker  you see on several of there rifles.  Here is a picture of one on a Jacob Kuntz. I also included a picture of his patch box to see the similarities  with Rob's  gun . Jim

« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 05:07:11 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Buck

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2024, 07:17:47 PM »
Jim,

Love those two rifles. Thoughts? Safe to say it's a late Kuntz rifle?

Rob,

Did you pick that rifle up or is it one you've come across on your travels?

Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2024, 10:25:58 PM »
It turned up at a local auction on Saturday and had to come home with me Noel.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2024, 11:54:14 PM »
We need better local auctions here. It looks to me like Peter might have recieved a little engraving  help from Jacob.  I always felt that every once in awhile  John Rupp may have also.   I wonder what others think ?  Jim
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 12:29:14 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2024, 02:15:06 PM »
Nice rifle!
Upper river?
John

Are you referring to upper Susquehanna? It doesn’t give me that vibe

Ah…Upper Delaware?