Author Topic: Acraglas Gel question  (Read 11755 times)

Offline wvmtnman

Acraglas Gel question
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:40:24 AM »
A few years ago I bought some of the Acraglas Gel bedding compound from Brownnells.  I am wanting to bed a repro Model 1861 Musket but I am out of the color additive.  What would work?  Paint pigment? Dye? Stain????  Just looking for a starting point instead of trying every idea.
                                                                  Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Acraglas Gel question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 02:48:10 AM »
Brian,
I have used Danglers stain in a pinch.  It works well to color the Acraglass however it seems to slow the cure time and makes the Acraglass a little rubber feeling the next day.  It will harden but I'm sure it weakens the Acraglass some. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 02:49:26 AM »
Cocoa from your wife's kitchen will do if you have no other form of powdered stain....
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 04:38:07 AM »
 The lil' tubes of artists 'water color' work pretty well !

I've used it with epoxy for a bunch of different things.  Just mounted a black horn nose cap using epoxy, colored with a  small dot of lampblack artist color. I'm sure different color variations could also be prepared??

Respect Always
Jonathan/Metalshaper

robert gene

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:50:33 AM »
I got a little pigment from the Big Ugly store. It worked fine.

billd

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:59:42 AM »
Powdered water soluble dye the Brownells sell do NOT work.
Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:23 AM »
A few years ago I bought some of the Acraglas Gel bedding compound from Brownnells.  I am wanting to bed a repro Model 1861 Musket but I am out of the color additive.  What would work?  Paint pigment? Dye? Stain????  Just looking for a starting point instead of trying every idea.
                                                                  Brian

Just order some from Brownell's then you will not damage the bedding compound.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »
You know, I never even thought of checking to see if they sold the dye seperatly.  They do, problem fixed.
                                                                                                 Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline rsells

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »
I get bulk dye from Brownells.  It isn't expensive and you can do a bunch of small repairs before the dye dries out.
                                                                  Roger Sells

Bucksnort

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »
System Three epoxy has brown and black dye for epoxy. I got some from Wood Crafters stor here in town. The amount you use is enough for two lifetimes. Duane

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:17:41 PM »
I have been using the same tiny tub of brown from Brownell's for over 10 years.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:15:48 AM »
You might want to sample some of the Acraglas Gel to see if it still hardens, as it has a limited shelf life. I'd probably buy some new to use for a project like that.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
After 4 years I tried to use some a few weeks ago.... wouldn't harden... :-[   "Use it or lose it!!"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:31:12 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
Any acrylic artist paint works very well and skys the limit on colors. Very little colors it well.
Good luck.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Dave K

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 10:27:46 PM »
That is what I use, for the same reasons as you. Any color or blend of colors can be had. Never any problems with drying either.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »
I use a LOT of Accraglas each year and I've also found you can't absolutely trust opened Accraglas much over a year. 

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 11:53:52 PM »
Artificer,  My experience is the same.  It might help to keep it in the freezer though!?  I'm just about absitively posolutely certain that acra glas gel and Smooth On are the same thing.
Mike Lee

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »
What is Smooth On? Never heard of that one.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Artificer

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Artificer,  My experience is the same.  It might help to keep it in the freezer though!?  I'm just about absitively posolutely certain that acra glas gel and Smooth On are the same thing.

Well, I have never frozen Accraglas deliberately, though it happened a couple times on me.  In my old, separate garage shop, it was not heated all the time in the winter.  I would fire up my heater when I was out there.   A couple of times I left the Accraglas out there when the temperature dropped below freezing and all my epoxies and glues froze.  It took a few days for the Accraglas to thaw and "normalize."  (Took longer for Marine Tex and it hurt a couple other types of epoxy glues I use.)  After the Accraglas  thawed  out and normalized, it set up properly for the next month or so until I used it all up.  I buy Accraglass in the 8 oz tubs of resin and hardener and go through two or three such kits per year.

Since I order so much stuff from Brownell's, I decided to give their Technical Staff a call on whether freezing it will harm it or make it last longer.  They said freezing won't harm it, just nuke it in the microwave for about 5 seconds at a time, or have it sit (sealed in the containers) in warm water until it is soft enough to blend.  They also said freezing it would not make it last longer.  They also agreed to try to use it up in not much more over a year - if that long.  I also asked about Smooth On and they didn't know what that was, either.

After those two experiences with freezing glues and epoxies I made up a special cardboard box of my glues and epoxies and kept them in the house in the winter and only took them out to the garage when I was actually going to use them.  Then I would bring the whole box in the house afterwards.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 12:40:28 AM »
What is Smooth On? Never heard of that one.
Darrin

Darrin, it is packaged for the bow making industry and hobbyists.  I buy most of this stuff from Binghams.  Here is a link to their epoxy page.  The smooth on has always seemed to me to be the same as acra gel and the versamid has always seemed to be the same as acra glas.  Notice the heat "requirements" which are desireable for bow building.  Both of these will work without heat but will take 24 to 48 hours to cure.

Binghams advises me that the shelf life is about a year or even less for the smooth on.  I have had versamid on the shelf for up to five years and used it with no problems but never under a high stress situation like a bow limb.

I don't think there is any advantage to purchasing either as a sub for acra glas or acra gel unless a good price or quantitiy price can be obtained.  I have bedded several modern rifles with the smooth on with good results.

They also said freezing it would not make it last longer.

That is good to know!

I have a partial amount of smooth on around here that is about three years old and while I have several bow projects coming up, I prefer to get new for them so if anybody wants to buy what I got, let me know.
Mike Lee

hyltoto

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
I've used the little tubes of raw or burnt umber oil paint. I just stick a toothpick in the tube and then use it to stir the epoxy. Has not seemed to change the performance, but I have no engineering data. Used the same tubes for 20 years. Hobby Lobby or Michael's sells them around here.