Author Topic: Another Shot Pouch  (Read 678 times)

Offline koauke

• Starting Member
Another Shot Pouch
« on: July 30, 2024, 11:14:38 AM »
I enjoyed making my first shot pouch so I purchased a double shoulder of 3-4oz vegetable tan leather with intent make more. I wasn't quite happy with my second pouch, but I'll post my third one :)! I saw someone mention the book "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" in another forum and thought I'd pick one up. I've been reading through it and decided to give a "kidney" shaped pouch a go and drew out a pattern on posterboard. I tried applying neatsfoot oil before the dye this time and that seems to work better. The leather stays softer after dying. Once dyed I applied an additional coat of neatsfoot oil. I used Fiebing's dark brown dye, but opted not to dye the underside of the flap or the inside of the bag (easier to see whats inside). I had a little bleed through to the inside from the stitching holes (a little too much dye on the dauber) but overall I like the way this one turned out!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 12:06:14 PM by koauke »

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Another Shot Pouch
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2024, 03:19:26 PM »
Excellent job!
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2024, 03:58:09 PM »
Nice looking work. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline DougS

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 10:28:21 AM »
Nice looking pouch!

Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 07:47:37 PM »
Nicely done! Keep up the nice work.  8)

I have made a lot of leather products with only the hair side dyed and the flesh side left natural.
To avoid bleed through or having dye appear on the edge on the flesh side, I precut my parts slightly over size, then dye to the color I want and then let it dry. After drying, then cut to final size and assemble. After assembly, oil or polish as desired.

Offline jbigley

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024, 11:10:25 PM »
Nice looking pouch! I've always liked that shape bag. -- JB

Offline koauke

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 10:50:11 PM »
Thanks all and thanks for the tips.  I’ve been working off what I can learn from a couple of books, the internet, photos, and YouTube videos regarding leather work and pouches. I wish we had some of events out here on the west coast like are available to many of you in the East. Classes, Artisan fairs, longrifle shows etc.