Author Topic: TOW metal stamp question  (Read 418 times)

Offline alex e.

TOW metal stamp question
« on: August 02, 2024, 05:54:45 AM »
I'm working  on a Rifle Shoppe 1742 brown bess.
This nightmare is almost complete.
The customer supplied  me with metal stamps of period proof marks from TOW.
I've practiced on some metal of similar  hardness. With very poor results.
Is there a trick to this?
The stamps don't really impress me.as far as quality  goes.
I'm ready to tell the owner I'm not doing it for fear it'll look like  @#$%/!!.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: TOW metal stamp question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2024, 01:49:59 PM »
Hi,
The TOW stamps are useless particularly on modern steel barrels.  There may be better stamps out there and I know Mike Brooks successfully stamps his Bess barrels. Here is how I do it because I am an engraver.  I stamp the marks on paper using ink.  I scan those images into my computer and print them out on an inkjet.  Then I transfer the images to the barrel using Tom White's Transfer Magic  (basically lacquer and acetone).  I then engrave the marks on the barrel.  They are not really very hard to cut.  Then I use the engraved marks to solidly index the stamps in place on the barrel and stamp them with a 5 lbs hand sledge. Removing metal by engraving solidly positions the stamps and reduces the resistance to the force of the blow and the stamp on the barrel.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2024, 03:21:31 PM »
I have used the TOW stamps at least 100 times in different variations, and they work fine, WITH PRACTICE.

They key is not to expect or try to make the impression with one strike.  For example, if you are going to use the crossed septre viewing mark stamp on the breech and tang
of your Bess hold it in position, and angled to the side so only about 25% of the stamp is in contact with the barrel.  Give it a modest tap with a hammer.  Neither a heavy blow or a sledge is required.  Once the first strike is made, you can "feel" the stamp click back into the first impression when you position it back on the barrel.  Once the stamp is back in it's original position slowly angle it more to the center so about half of the stamp is in contact.  Strike again.  Repeat this process until the entire process is complete across the radius of the barrel.

If you try to make the entire impression at once, you will undoubtedly make a double impression.

It is not difficult, but it does take practice, especially on a round barrel. The stamps work, but like everything else it takes time to learn how to use them properly. 

I've also used them with success many times on Pedersoli Bess barrels, which are much harder than the barrels made for the TRS kits.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2024, 04:12:35 PM »
Unlike stamping a knife blade thats heated forge or oven cherry red has  fantastic results. The modern steel unless heated won’t produce well. I’ve resorted to using a press vs striking with hammer.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com