Author Topic: Wire inlay  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Pete G.

Wire inlay
« on: August 14, 2024, 09:47:10 PM »
I have a rifle that has sterling silver for the wire, which tarnishes over time. How can I polish the silver without affecting the wood finish?

Offline EC121

Re: Wire inlay
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 10:05:37 PM »
I use Never-Dull.  It works on brass and silver, and it isn’t abrasive
Brice Stultz

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 01:34:46 AM »
Any particular technique required?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 08:33:04 AM »
Try using a red eraser on a wood pencil.  A tiny amount of Simichrome on a cloth should work without damaging the finish also.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 01:51:34 PM »
Hi Pete,
Put a very small amount of Simichrome polish on and old cotton sock.  Then go polish something metal until the polish on the sock is just a thin black smear.  Then use the sock to polish the silver wire inlay. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 12:40:25 PM »
Smart dog, what’s the reason for doing the way you suggested, is it to keep from having to much Simichrome off the finish.
On a different note I have heard the abrasive element in Simichrome is synthetic ruby.
Cheers Richard

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2024, 03:53:21 PM »
Light tarnish can be rubbed off with your thumb.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 07:46:17 PM »
I have silver solder vertical lines in the middle of my express sight leaves.
A rub with a dry patch brightens them up. I expect the same with sterling might work  or a line of liquid silver polish should also work.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2024, 09:03:46 PM »
Smart dog, what’s the reason for doing the way you suggested, is it to keep from having to much Simichrome off the finish.
On a different note I have heard the abrasive element in Simichrome is synthetic ruby.
Cheers Richard

Hi Richard,
Yes, it smears the polish very thin so virtually none is deposited on the wire and surrounding wood. The sock also absorbs much of the moisture and keeps the polish from depositing on the stock.  Simichrome could damage the wood finish if put on too thickly and rubbed too vigorously. I keep an old sock around for this purpose.  It has a very dry blackened area on one side where the polish was originally applied.  I rarely add any more polish to it.  When I need to brighten the wire inlay, I grab the old blackened sock and just rub the wire adding no new polish. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2024, 10:10:35 PM »
Sterling silver wire once polished use a little floor wax to coat the wire and surrounding area. That will help the sterling to stay bright. Sterling has 5-7% copper in it  - copper tarnishes real fast!   Now you know why I do not use sterling silver for wire inlay - only pure silver.  .999 silver.  It won't tarnish as fast
 and will keep it's brilliance much longer even years!  H.T.
H.T.