Author Topic: Contemporary horn  (Read 634 times)

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
Contemporary horn
« on: August 26, 2024, 04:05:49 AM »
Here is a bag and horn that a friend sold to me. He did not recall who had made the horn. I am just wondering if anyone here could help identify it. It is initialed not real clear but I think good enough for someone to recognize. I’ve always had a thing for powder horns and I have a nice collection if anyone wants to see more,  both antique and contemporary. Thanks Randy Levi Garrett

Offline Top Jaw

Re: Contemporary horn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 01:07:18 PM »
That might be a BB for Brian Barker.  Resembles some of his work I have seen.  A very well done folksy aged horn.  That’s the kind he usually makes.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 03:33:44 PM »
That’s a real beauty.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2024, 05:03:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Offline John Proud

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2024, 05:40:06 PM »
I have a "collection" of horn makers marks. That is Brian Barker's mark and if you look closely the BB is followed by MM and I think iv, 2015. Every horn of his I have seen is dated.

Very nice horn! Thanks for sharing it.

John

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2024, 01:39:47 AM »
I have a "collection" of horn makers marks. That is Brian Barker's mark and if you look closely the BB is followed by MM and I think iv, 2015. Every horn of his I have seen is dated.

Very nice horn! Thanks for sharing it.

John

I do remember now that I have heard you mention your collection of makers marks. Believe it or not the friend that I purchased this from had it out for a yard sale! I bought a total of 5 bags and horns from him. Don’t get me wrong they weren’t at yard sale prices  but how often does something like this show up at a yard sale. I have another that I want to post when I find time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 03:57:19 AM by Levi Garrett »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2024, 06:05:09 AM »
Those are my initials for sure. I have to say I don't remember that one but it's definitely my work. I must be getting old.

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2024, 06:46:55 AM »
Those are my initials for sure. I have to say I don't remember that one but it's definitely my work. I must be getting old.

Well first let me say that I’m happy to learn that it was made by you and I’m proud to own it. I thought it was older than 2015. The gentleman that I purchased it from was a reenactor years ago and I thought he had it a long time. He told me that he liked to purchase items from young artisans that showed talent as an investment. I guess that he saw something in you!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 05:09:28 AM by Levi Garrett »

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2024, 07:13:22 PM »
MMIV roman numerals would be 2004.  MMV 2005.  2015 would be MMXV. 
Jerry