Author Topic: Becks finishing oil use  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Joe Stein

Re: Becks finishing oil use
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2024, 05:28:53 AM »
If anyone is interested in the booklet that Bill Knight and Bill Mendez wrote, Dixon's ML shop (yes, That Dixon's) had it reprinted. I picked up a copy after the Kempton event this July. I think I paid $25+ - for it. I may be wrong about the price, but I know it was reasonable.  I don't know how many copies they had printed, or how many they have left.
If you want a copy, give Dixon's a call. 
Also, they said that we can thank Tallbear for convincing them to get it reprinted.

Offline Habu

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2024, 09:00:12 AM »
I wonder where samples of old finishes could be sent off to be analyzed for content. Or if the old finish is just too old to reveal much original content?
John, you might try contacting someone who offers "historic paint analysis" services.  They should be able to point you in the right direction for someone who can provide analysis of a clear finish.  The analysis typically includes several types of microscopy and spectrometry.  The problem is that they want a sample of the finish including the substrate--the wood under the finish--and what collector wants to carve a splinter off his pride-and-joy? 

Some years back I was able to borrow a few pieces and have the finishes examined.  That didn't give detailed "recipes", but it provided some pointers.  I don't think anyone would be surprised by what we saw. 

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out there is no way of knowing if the finishes were original.  I suspect that where we had similar findings on multiple guns from the same maker, it might suggest we were seeing original finish--but that is just a suspicion. 

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2024, 02:07:06 AM »
There is much technical info to be found in period texts.  The hardest part is tracking them down!  Also, a number of period cabinetmaking and assorted woodworking trade-texts were written and published by wealthy dilettantes who were merely parroting things they were told or had read.  Some of the old formulae are completely unworkable.

Back when the 'two Bills' published their preliminary little booklet concerning finishes, Bill Knight gave me an accordion folder of all of the period documentation he had used, as well as a good deal of his correspondence with various 'experts' in the field including instrument makers, and keep in mind that there was definitely crossover material usage especially when it comes to resin varnishes and color vanishes. I still have it and have used it repeatedly over the years; it's probably a good 4-5 inches+ thick pile of papers!  Bill always intended that booklet to be an introduction, not an end-all.

If you really wanted to see Bill get worked up, all you had to do was mention using some form of polyurethane.  :o

Is the finishing booklet still available?  If so, where can I buy one?

I have been using Tried and True.  I like to put down a coat or two of their oil and beeswax, then use topcoats of their varnish oil.  I am wondering how similar the T&T is to the Beck's.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2024, 02:47:29 AM »
Martin, see page 1 of this topic. It’s suggested the booklet is available at Dixon’s Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton PA.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2024, 03:02:11 AM »
Thanks.  I'll give them a call.