Author Topic: Squirrel with the Kibler  (Read 260 times)

Offline Smilax

• Starting Member
Squirrel with the Kibler
« on: September 24, 2024, 11:04:24 AM »
Managed to get out for squirrels after the opener, first harvest with this gun. I’m shooting a Kibler colonial smooth rifle in .58, took this squirrel with ~7/8-1oz of #6 shot. I spent a fair bit of time patterning this gun and had good luck with the Skychief load everyone knows about, and I think I landed on a winner with some minor tweaks. Rather than just loose shot under the oil soaked buffer wad, I rolled the shot into a paper cartridge with an equal volume of corn meal buffer. I read about others doing something similar on another forum, definitely not something I came up with. I have to pattern it on paper still but at 20 yds, this guy had numerous hits, might even up the shot size to #5 next time - fewer pellets to spit out!

Offline okawbow

Re: Squirrel with the Kibler
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2024, 03:12:24 PM »
👍 Squirrel 🐿 hunting is fun! Good job!
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2024, 04:34:57 PM »
I'm itching to go skwirl hunting. Went into the forest to cut firewood yesterday. I saw lots of Abert squirrels. Our season does not open this year until October 4.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2024, 06:30:51 PM »
A beautiful fowler and a nice way to start the season off right.  Florida's squirrel season is open year round now, but only on private land.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2024, 10:53:22 PM »
I spy a rear sight.  Oh, wait that is not the fowler............