Author Topic: Horn Kiln  (Read 925 times)

Offline Frozen Run

Horn Kiln
« on: August 26, 2024, 05:38:04 PM »
I've been searching pretty hard but can not find an image of William Frankfort's horn kiln. He made it out of one of those Christmas popcorn tins that holds an impossible amount of caramel, cheese, and buttered popcorn and also a heat gun. If anyone has any pictures or could provide any information on this horn kiln or a picture of their horn kiln it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Online Top Jaw

Re: Horn Kiln
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 08:07:23 PM »
I don’t know Williy’s specific horn kiln set up.  But for general rounding of a horn base with dry heat (on horns that are already mostly round), I have used the oven set at 350 deg.  I put the horn on a cookie sheet on the middle rack, & wrapped it with a damp towel - except for about 3” of the base exposed.  Keeping the base from contacting the metal to help prevent scorching.  Goal is to get overall temp of the base up to 325 to 350 F - to point of removing the horns memory, and shove it onto a sizer.  Less mess, but hot oil is still my preferred method for rounding horns that have an oval base.  Be advised that sometimes dry heat (or excessive heat) can cause delamination of the horn layers.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024, 09:17:23 PM »
I saw Willie's horn oven and that inspired me to make my own.  Here are a few photos of it.
I used a smokeless gunpowder can, but I imagine any large round or square can would work.

Here is a side view of the oven.  On the left is a sliding mount for the heat gun.  I cut part of the top of the can out and also the side, then bought a light piece of sheet metal and bent it to form a cover for the cut out part.  I affixed the cover with a length of piano hinge.  Then I fashioned a locking device to hold the cover tightly closed.

This is an end view of the oven.  Obviously.  Notice the hole drilled into the cover about an inch from the end.

Here is the key to accurate oven temperature, a thermometer.  That goes in the hole shown above.

This is the key to not burning the horn, a heat deflector.  Instead of the head blowing directly onto the horn, it is deflected around and the entire horn is warmed to about 340+/- degrees F.

It's not a difficult build and the results are rewarding.  I found that it worked best with lighter weight cow horns rather than with massive bull horns, but YMMV.

Hope this helps some.

John (Bigsmoke)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 09:30:25 PM by bigsmoke »

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2024, 11:00:22 PM »
This helps a lot, I think this would make a good candidate for a shop made tool submission, thank you!

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2024, 10:32:26 AM »

To the left is the horn press I finished up not too long ago. I got the plans for it from the HCH website here:

https://www.hornguild.org/a-simple-horn-press-by-rex-reddick/

I added the two boards that run just inside the side columns to increase the stability of the top plate. The press screw is 18" and was a misjudgment on my end. The plans doesn't name the part exactly, just gives an obsolete part number which no longer exists and the company that made them sold out to Pony. You have the option of either a 9", 12", or 18" from the manufacturer. I determined it was a 12" press screw which was sold out entirely along with the 18" for the foreseeable future because of reasons. I then deduced, incorrectly, that a 9" press screw would not work. Fortunately Lowes had the 18" ones mislabeled in their inventory and was able to order one. It's a bit ungainly, but not the worst thing in the world to operate, plus if I ever strip it then I can just lop it off and start fresh. I spilled my can of shellac being a klutz finishing it so everything in my shop got an emergency coat of shellac. When life hands you lemons, ask it for a bag.

The kiln was a combination of John's example and my one friend Phil who told me about them in the first place. I screwed the legs on to the top by mistake building it up so the intake is coming in from the right. I opted to use the same heat deflector as what Phil used to save room on the inside, cutting a   ᗡ D pattern in the lid and bending it in. The only problem is I neatly drew out my Ds, got the cutoff wheel on my dremel and realized I had cut them out entirely sometime just before the second ding of the second part hitting my bench. I knew I had to cut out only the outer curve, but I saw the line and just turned my brain off and cut out the whole thing. So I took a coke can, cut off the top and bottom, flattened it, bent it in half, formed a couple copper rivets and riveted it to the intake hole. It worked. I could have sworn you used a sliding bolt latch, the reason I selected mine, strange. There's a pretty decent sized gap around the door, if that's an issue then I'll just rivet on more coke cans probably, but I'm hoping it isn't. Also, Phil insisted I put a wooden shelf in it for the horn to rest on so I did.

Thank you again for your guys' help!       

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2024, 08:10:10 AM »
A couple important additions I left out. Phil made his from the plans published in The Horn Book from an article which I believe Willy Frankfort wrote, I'm not sure from which issue. The copper rivets in hindsight were a bit overkill. I could have just used a heavy gauge staple, like the kind you staple targets up with, and bent the prongs over. This is the method I will use in the event I need to cover the gaps in the door.