Author Topic: Berks County Rifle Exhibit  (Read 3142 times)

timone

Berks County Rifle Exhibit
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
I am looking for information on a rifle exhibited at the museum.  I was there recently, and really liked a Allentown rifle by Stophil Long in the case by the corner.  I have started to built a rifle based on that one, but I am stumped by a number of items.  The museum didn't allow photographing the rifles so I didn't get the details that I need.  If anyone is planning on attending the exhibit, could you get some information for me?  The museum book pictures didn't have any of the top of the rifle or the bottom.  Is there a toe plate, other inlays, carving, Indian head/liberty head carved or engraved on the top or bottom of the rifle?  I would appreciate any information I can get on this rifle. 

Tim Cornick
tcornick260402mi@comcast.net

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Berks County Rifle Exhibit
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:47:01 PM »
Tim
I wish you had posted last week!!I spent all day Tuesday there sketching details,but didn't look at the Long closely.If I make the trip back I will let you know.

Mitch

Offline BJH

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:26:51 AM »
Yup the only fella taking more notes than me, Tall bear......  I was down there at the same time, plus another board member whose name escapes me now :-[ I needed to take notes on the fowlers that were part of the exhibit. The most unfortunate part is the exhibit book does not give bottom views of any of the guns I was most interested in. I wish I had Tallbear's sketching ability. His little notebook is probably worth more than the exhibit book.  BJH
BJH

ramserl

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:07:59 AM »
The fella that you can't remember is me.  Ray Ramsey from Pittsfield New Hampshire.  Im glad you posted this so now I remember who you are!!!  Can not remember how long it goes for but I am trying to go back in Feb.  to go to the other show.  If it is still on I will gladly go and get any info I can for you.  Just PM me with all the info you need.

timone

Stoffill Long design elements of the rifle
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:28:17 PM »
Thanks,
The information I am looking for pertains to the top and bottom of the rifle.  The exhibit book doesn't show anything but the sides of the rifle.   I need to know:  toeplate, if any, what is the design      triggerguard, design or anything interesting        Any Indian head/liberty head designs anywhere on the rifle
Thumbplate - size and design     tang carving - if any and what it looks like     ramrod entrypipe and thimbles - size and design     nosecap   length, design, open on front like many Allentowns?    Anything else on the top or bottom of the rifle.