Author Topic: Choosing a Barrel  (Read 6831 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Choosing a Barrel
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:55 AM »
   There are 5 barrel Companies that I know of Getz,Rayle,Green Mountain, Colrane& Rice are there any that I missed?  And I am curious what the general populus of the forum choose.

My plans are to build in the Lancaster style stock .58 swamped and prefer a barrel length of 44in. Any suggestion ???

Oh yeah Definately Flint,

Thanx Rich

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Choosing a Barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:37 AM »
Charles Burton
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:36:05 AM »
Longhammock (thru Barbie Chambers)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 01:38:30 AM »
R.A. Hoyt

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 01:39:56 AM »
  I was just about to send you an e-mail asking about the barrel on the rifle seen in your website is it ome of the two you mentioned?

Rich

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:44:25 AM »
My first call would be to Rice Barrel Co.   ;)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:18 AM »
  I'm with Birddog6. RICE.

northmn

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 01:58:44 AM »
Lately it seems like the one I can get within a reasonable time frame.

DP

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 02:01:19 AM »
 I was just about to send you an e-mail asking about the barrel on the rifle seen in your website is it ome of the two you mentioned?

Rich

The barrel on my jaeger I bought already inlet into a piece of wood. There is no name on it, so I can't tell you. It's 8 lands and grooves, so it's not a Getz, who uses 7.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:36:47 AM »
If your looking for something off the beaten path, Ben Coogle (down in Georgia, I think) will make reeaaallly long or reeaaallly big bored barrels.

DeHaas makes nice barrels too.

Good luck.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

octagon

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:49:35 AM »
If your looking for something off the beaten path, Ben Coogle (down in Georgia, I think) will make reeaaallly long or reeaaallly big bored barrels.

DeHaas makes nice barrels too.

Good luck.

Ez

TVM(Matt/Toni Avance) reccomended with my build from them a Rice or a DeHaas. DeHass is small and use to be with LongHammock.

mgcrumster

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
     Greetings,
   I have used Douglas, Green River Rifle Works, Green Mountain, R.A. Hoyt, Ed Rayl, Bill Moody, Rice, Goodoien, Web Terry, Resor, De Haas, H&H Barrel's over the years, and found all to shoot great once you take the time to work up a load the barrel will shoot at it's best accuracy, (Sweet Spot).  Some of these company's are no longer in business, or the builders have passed.  After 30 years of shooting Bench rest, I have found cut rifling .010 to .012 thou. deep, with a twist of 1x48, 1x66, 1x72 depending on Cal. size, with grooves wider than lands, and square bottom rifling to work better for me. In the end it will come down to cost and availability, Good Luck!

octagon

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 08:38:55 PM »
     Greetings,
   I have used Douglas, Green River Rifle Works, Green Mountain, R.A. Hoyt, Ed Rayl, Bill Moody, Rice, Goodoien, Web Terry, Resor, De Haas, H&H Barrel's over the years, and found all to shoot great once you take the time to work up a load the barrel will shoot at it's best accuracy, (Sweet Spot).  Some of these company's are no longer in business, or the builders have passed.  After 30 years of shooting Bench rest, I have found cut rifling .010 to .012 thou. deep, with a twist of 1x48, 1x66, 1x72 depending on Cal. size, with grooves wider than lands, and square bottom rifling to work better for me. In the end it will come down to cost and availability, Good Luck!

It`s funny you mentioned that. I read in one of my old Blackpowder Hunting magazines that Getz said and I quote, round botton rifling easier to load and clean, but square botton rifling was tighter and shot better patterns. So, beleive me, that has me thinking about which style to order!!

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »
   There are 5 barrel Companies that I know of Getz,Rayle,Green Mountain, Colrane& Rice are there any that I missed?  And I am curious what the general populus of the forum choose.

My plans are to build in the Lancaster style stock .58 swamped and prefer a barrel length of 44in. Any suggestion ???
 Thanx Rich

Here are a few more barrel makers to check out, other than those mentioned.

Ed Rayl P.O. Box 91 Gassway, WV 26624 (304)364-8269

W. Jenkins, 2740 Pricey Creek Rd., Salyersville, KY 41465, (606)-349-2600.  wjenkins@foothills.net

Charles Burton, 250 S. Liddie Way, Morehead, KY 40351, (606)-780-7709.  flintlockcalb50@hotmail.com