Author Topic: My Bucks County Smoothbore  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Tom Currie

My Bucks County Smoothbore
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
I have finally got some pictures of my Bucks County Smoothbore I finished and had at Dixons last with me last summer. Lots of help from ALR members along the way especially Eric Armstrong who shared his research with me which gave me lots of ideas to work with. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Remember Bruce.... it's finally done.

42 " Pedersoli oct-rnd smooth barrel
Reaves G hardware
Chambers Late Ketland lock
Dunlap maple
Home brewed oil varnish

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:52:44 AM by Tom Currie »

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: My Bucks County Smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
   You have done well Tom, so much better than a lot of first attempts at a Bucks Co. gun.   The architecture looks good and the design elements are correct.  I notice that you used the correct opener for the box.   Eric's photos can give you a lot of ideas and information, I sure have made use of his research.  I will be first in line to get his book when he gets it done.
Best wishes
Ron 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

northmn

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
Nice work and a lot of work into that rifle.

DP

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »
Tom, that is nice looking rifle. Is that the rifle you won a ribbon at Dixon's for the patch box release? If so, could post a picture of the inside of the box? I have Buck's that I will redo someday. I can fix it up a little but it will not come close to being as nice as yours. Well done.
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
 Good lookin' gun Tom, nice work.

Tim C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »
Looks great.  Show me the sideplate!
Andover, Vermont

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:35:19 PM »
Always a pleasure to view a well done Bucks County and yours is certainly that. Bucks County LRs, to me anyways , mostly  have  curved buttstocks but are comfortable to shoot and are so pleasing to the eye...Fred

Offline b bogart

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:01 AM »
Tom that is sweet. I have a soft spot (not in my head) for those Bucks styled rifles. That is a beauty. I got a couple projects before I start one. And Ron is correct about the Eric's assistance! Since Ron's first in line I want to be second for that book. Heck I'd like to see some of them Bucks County rifles in the Museum.
Congrats Tom you did well!
Bruce

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. Ron and Fred, I consider yours high praise as I have followed your work for some time.

Pikelake, that is the rifle with the apprentice 2nd place ribbon for patchbox release. Thanks for remembering.

My son's got the camera so I'll be a while but will get a few more requested photos taken when I can.

Book ? Eric, put me on the mailing list. 

This build was inspired by Wallace Gussler's article regarding RCA 42 provenance and then followed up by EK's Muzzleblasts counter articles which included my first view of the AP signed Bucks County rifle.  Both of these articles dealt with side opening box evolution.

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:50:50 AM »
Tom, I really like your Bucks smoothbore. Such pleasing lines. Everything seems to flow together in  harmony. I like the patchbox, especially the engraving. Is that your design? Well done.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 04:29:08 AM »
Dogcreek, The engraving pattern is my version of the somewhat common " propellor " pattern that is seen engraved on Bucks County patchboxes. Glad you like it. Thanks