Author Topic: Siler "Gunmaker's Flintlock" ( uncut plate)  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Siler "Gunmaker's Flintlock" ( uncut plate)
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
Has any one had any experience with the Siler "Gunmaker's locks" ( the ones with the uncut lock plate)?
I was just wondering what amount of shaping potential is available with it? I would like to be able to drop the rear third of the plate
to make it more banana shaped. In essence try to make it in to a small version of a jaeger style lock to be used on a German pistol I'm trying to approximate.
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

John Knaack

Re: Siler "Gunmaker's Flintlock" ( uncut plate)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:32:46 PM »
I have used several and the plate is substantialy longer and taller than a large Siler lock plate.  You should be able to reshape it as you wish.  Don't go smaller than the larger Siler plate and you will be fine.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
Jim,

I just finished shaping one for an upcoming rifle. The picture shows the regular large Siler plate atop the shaped "Gunmaker's" plate. You can see about 1/4" more drop to the tail. This is about all the drop I could obtain without getting things out of proportion.

Ted

keweenaw

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:20:19 AM »
The only real limitation on shaping the plate is where the tail of the sear and the sear spring  end up.  You have some leeway in that as you can bend the tail of the sear down a bit but the sear spring position is fixed.

Tom

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:48:56 AM »
Have you seen the Chambers Model L-19 "Dale Johnson" flintlock? Its a Siler with a 1/8" lower tail that sounds like about what you want.   http://www.flintlocks.com/locks6.htm

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »
Anymore, I do just about everything with the Siler "gunmaker's kit", though I never use the cock.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:58:45 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:06:14 AM »
Heres one I made from it.
Mitch

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. From what I'm seeing here I just may be able to pull it off. If I can get it to tail drop about 1/4 such as the image Ted posted and the bottom curve such as Tallbear's image. Stoph are you making the cocks for your lock builds or are you using a pre-made one?

Thanks again everyone
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »
That's one of the "blank" cocks from Track of the Wolf.  I use them often, reshaping as necessary.

This one is also made from the gunmakers' kit....there's plenty of stylistic room there to work with.

I have another lock that I have started, and I'm really proud of, but no photos yet.  It is all shaped out, but not assembled yet.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:57:28 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 09:09:42 PM »
You can move the sear spring on the locks some. My last one I had to drop the spring quite a bit. It had the slot cut for the spring way to high.  They are great to use though. Here is a late lock I'm working on now. Its not what you are looking for but you can see the range that it can be used for.