Author Topic: CCI caps  (Read 5934 times)

Walker Mountain

CCI caps
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:55:05 AM »
While shooting trail with friends during a club match I over heard a first time shooter with are club saying CCI caps have a tendency to foul the nipple swearing that Remington are the best, I’ve always used CCI and experience occasional misfire but for the most part can get off over thirty shot needed to finish the trail. Are Remington caps better or is there more likely reason for misfire and how could you tell? I buy CCI because that what available at the local stores, opinion anyone.
 ???

BrownBear

Re: CCI caps
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:40:27 AM »
Fords and Chevys.

I've not had any problems with Fords, er, CCI's but others swear they have.  I have found that Remingtons shed their contents easily, and sometimes find them laying in the bottom of a tin.  I've also found Remingtons to be more sensitive to high humidity.  In truth I'll shoot either one, with a preference for the CCI in wet weather, and a careful check for empty cups in my Remingtons.  Lately I found some Remingtons at half the price of CCI, so I'm shooting them with relish.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:51:51 AM »
I think most cap problems come down to the fit of the cap on the nipple.   Least that's what I look for first and that's usually the last place I have to look!
Mike Lee

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »
I have had a 'problem' with CCI caps leaving a "plug" of paper in a nipple and preventing a subsequent firing; however, this has only occurred when I am clearing the nipple to  start shooting a clean rifle. It may have something to do  with the fact that there is no blowback with no charge in the arm. I keep an eye on it during matches, but have yet to experience a problem after the initial clearing. I do keep a pick handy. My Rigby Long Range likes CCI mag (11M). I would hate to change.
Gene

ottawa

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »
have had no problem with eather any miss fire was do to a bad nipple or human error but then i don't shoot as much as most or I would like too

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
I shoot both CCI and Remington and have both in my shop.  The last thousand I bought was CCI.  I ordered them on line and they were slightly cheaper than the Remies.  I find them so similar I just buy the cheapest or what's available at the time.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

roundball

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
I used to use CCI's then CCI mags...early on I noticed that after firing a shot I'd find the occasional piece of debris on top of the nipple when I'd re-cock to cap the nipple again...so I made the habit of going to half cock immediately after taking a shot so that while wiping or reloading, the air discharge blast would clear the nipple and I stopped having that problem...

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
Ok, Ok I'll admit that I shoot such a cussin rifle at 'times'.  Got away from the Rems when I frequently noticed the fulminate fell out of said caps.. Nothing but CCI mags ever since.  The German is good but just a mite tighter on the nipple...  So CCI it is!

Buy 'em a sleeve (5,000) at a time....Life is good ;D

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
RWS have always given me good results. With the Remintons, I check the tube's mouth after snapping a cap to clear the vent. Sometimes there is a bit of foil left. This hasn't happened with CCI or RWS.  Seems to me, the Rem. caps of the 1970's and early 80's were the worse for leaving something, but only happened when snapping a cap - not a big deal.

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »
Got away from the Rems when I frequently noticed the fulminate fell out of said caps.

Much more succinct description than mine, but the same phenomenon.

Offline markwi

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »
The only trouble I have had with all caps I use is, only one shot and they are no  good after that shot. Mark

Walker Mountain

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
"Thats funny I get two or three shot per cap"  ;)
Thanks all, looks like be staying with CCI for now, using Tracks stainless nipple and for most of the time caps split falling of when halfcock with CCI.
Free Trapper  ;D

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 02:34:01 AM »
The fit is critical  as longcruise states.   Lon

Harnic

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 06:34:33 AM »
When I first bought my stainless Ruger Old Army 3 years ago I started with Remington caps.  For that first thousand caps I had frequent misfires.  When I'd finished them I bought CCI & haven't had a misfire since.  Both brands seem to fit equally well.  The CCIs are cheaper here too.

Roger, I am getting the parts together for a Bridger style "cussin" Hawken & will likely shoot it a bit more often than my fullstock flint Hawken I built 4 years ago.  I've shot mostly flint for 30 years & since buying a Ruger Old Army (stainless fixed sights) have had a real strong hankerin' to give a caplock rifle a better try!  Go figure! ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:28:39 PM by Harnic »

omark

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »
i know this wasnt the question, but i much prefer RWS. just had excellent luck with them. they are just more expensive and harder to find around here.   mark

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:19 PM »
I agree Omark - the RWS have worked the best for me for the last almost 40 years.

Walker Mountain

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 07:01:32 AM »
Holy cow!!!!  :o Just check several places online those RWS must be gold plated or something they’re almost twice as much as CCI or Remington.
Free Trapper

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 03:03:26 AM »
I use to always use CCI caps until I miss ordered (years ago) an amount of RWS caps and basically ended up with a lifetime supply of those.  I'll admit, I like the RWS caps far more then any brand.  I'll also say I never had one problem with the CCI's that I can recall.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:04:06 AM by Candle Snuffer »