Author Topic: sights on chunk gun  (Read 4285 times)

Offline FALout

sights on chunk gun
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:28:19 AM »
I've tried to check older posts to find any info on chunk guns, what I'm looking for is info on sights and what most are using.  I'm saw somewhere that they open, non-adjustable sights, but that lots of folks use shades over them.  Can a globe front sight be used as long as it's not adjustable?
Bob

Offline smokinbuck

Re: sights on chunk gun
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:25:48 AM »
Falout,
You are correct, all sights must be open and non adjustable. Yes, non adjustable globes can be used for front sights but the insert cannot be an aperture type, it has to be a post. Most of the shooters do use shaders and they do make a big difference.
Mark
Mark

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:28:12 AM »
Here's 2 designs that work well - sighting is taken as if the rear is an aperture sight.

ERH

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »
I dint think sights like that where aloud for a chunk gun i thought that would be considered a pep sight. but I only bin shooting chunk gun for a few years

Offline FALout

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  I've seen that Track of the Wolf has rear sights that look traditional but has a small aperture.  Could work, but would make height adjustment tough, only being able to adjust the front.   Will have to think this over.  Still have a way to go on the building of this rifle so there's time.
Bob

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »
Daryl.....I don't think those sights would pass muster.   If I'm not mistaken, the top of the rear sight notch cannot be smaller than the notch itself, or, the ones that you have shown would be illegal.   All guns are inspected before the match
as for conformity.   There are two types of sights commonly being used.   The standard square partridge type sights are
probably the most common, with a rather wide front sight.  This is the type I used the most  along with a 4" black square
on my sighter target......I would merely align the sights then take a 6 o'clock hold on the black square.    Many people also
use a bead front sight along with a "U" shaped rear.  You would center the bead in the U, and shoot at a "donut" shaped
sighter target......merely centering the bead in the donut.    While most shoots do not allow for adjustable sights, it actually makes little sense to have an adjustable sight, if you are not shooting to the right spot, you merely move your
"X" target.    A great fun game and I miss it terribly.............Don

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
These drawings were made for primitive shooters who cannot see a rear sight at all. The top design, with parallel sides would not only be OK by Don's definition, but work well and as is actually being used now as a chunk sight in some areas.

As to being adjustable, height ajustment or windage is a non problem when using a spotter or 'bud' target.  3 or 4 samples of chunk targets I've seen would be impossible to se at 30 yards, let alone 60, so a 'bud' is needed. Where the group is on the bud matters not at all so zeroing is not necessary.

Either one will be fine at Rendezvous 2010 for the chunk and all the other rifle matches being held at Helfey Creek (10 day rendezvous) this coming August. Everyone's welcome.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:36:25 PM by Daryl »