Author Topic: stock drop on chunk guns  (Read 5178 times)

Offline smylee grouch

stock drop on chunk guns
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
I am planning on building a chunk gun and was wondering if most chunk gun shooters prefer more or less drop at the heel on the chunk gun as compared to their regular x-sticks, bench, or ofhand rifles. I know it will be alot of personal preference on this question but there might be some general trends out there that I would be interested in knowing.  Thank you anyone in advance for any imput.   Gary

ERH

Re: stock drop on chunk guns
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:02 AM »
I would put a picture of my chunk gun if someone can tell me how to upload one

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:46:07 AM »
I use less drop on my chunk gun than on my offhand rifle but only because I use somewhat higher sights on the chunk gun. That way I don't have to stretch my neck to have my eye in line with my sights. You are right, it is a matter of personal preference and comfort.
Mark
Mark

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:07:01 AM »
Tjhe comb of your stock should be high enough that you have to "cheek" it rather hard, like a trap gun.  In shoothing this
critter, you should also grip it tightly, don't just let it lay there and touch the trigger.....that just won't work.......Don

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:51:29 AM »
If I read Dons reply corectly, (higher comb) you would probably want less drop,thus higher comb to cheek it tightly. I can recall some chunk shooting where my butt plate seemed out of place and I had to streech my neck up to see the sights. This makes shooting in that position awakward and uncomfortable. This might be why I cant get below the one inch barrier.  I will take these ideas into consideration.  Thanks for everyones imput.  Gary

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:21:10 AM »
Due to the relatviely low velocities, holding hard as Don mentioned, and consistant follow through are VERY important.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »
Gary.......to elaborate on what you just said, I have a chunk gun built by Ron Borron.    A typical southern mountain type
gun, a sharp buttplate (ugh), and pretty much drop in the stock.   I shot this gun for several years but not well.  In talking
to the Bevel Brothers and cheeking the gun, I finally built up the cheekpiece and comb with layers of leather.   The next
year at the Alvin York shoot I came in 6th, the best I ever did there.   To elaborate on "6th place"..in most shoots this would not mean much, but at the Alvin York shoot 6th place means that you outshot over 200 other shooters, you also
got steaks for your effort.................Don

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
Hey Don - come on up to our rendezvous.  We're only going to have one chunk shoot, but would be MOST pleased to host you & anyone else who wants go come for the ten day event.  Now's the time to start thinking about the 'big' event.  We can find tents I'm sure.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »
Gary.......to elaborate on what you just said, I have a chunk gun built by Ron Borron.    A typical southern mountain type
gun, a sharp buttplate (ugh), and pretty much drop in the stock.   I shot this gun for several years but not well.  In talking
to the Bevel Brothers and cheeking the gun, I finally built up the cheekpiece and comb with layers of leather.   The next
year at the Alvin York shoot I came in 6th, the best I ever did there.   To elaborate on "6th place"..in most shoots this would not mean much, but at the Alvin York shoot 6th place means that you outshot over 200 other shooters, you also
got steaks for your effort.................Don
Good ol Getzy beat me to the 'building up the cheek and or comb with layers of leather.... You can make the proper adjustment on thickness a $#*! of a lot easier than adding 'wood'!!  Chunk rifles are seldom fancy and most are plain as a stump but shoot!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:54:05 AM »
First off, thanks everyone,i have alot to learn yet so every little bit helps. After reading Dons last post i can relate one of my experiences.  I have this gun, 40 cal. that has shot 5 shots into .6 in, out side spread off the bench at 50 yds. so thought that shooting chunk matches should be no problem. I go to shoot off the chunk and find it hard to stay under 2.5-3 inches. There is a world of difference between sitting down shooting and laying down shooting, also between 50 and 60 yds.  So as i said, i have alot to learn.    Thanks again and hope to shoot with some of you in the future.   Gary

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 04:22:15 AM »
Shooting over a chunk is an eye-opening experience for sure.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 06:09:56 AM »
you should also grip it tightly, don't just let it lay there and touch the trigger.....that just won't work.......Don

Thanks Don!  I can honestly say that this is where I've made many a chunk gun shooting
mistakes.  Appreciate the information. :)