Author Topic: Herman Rupp  (Read 6705 times)

tbailey

Herman Rupp
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:09 PM »
 Ok fellas, I am going to build or attempt to build a lehigh muzzeloader in the style of Herman Rupp.  I would love to have some input from everyone. Any information, or photos would be of great help.

Thanks

T.bailey.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Herman Rupp
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »
All I can say is prepare yourself for massive, soul-wrenching anguish as you try to get it "right".

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
I'd contact Eric von Aschwege; he is very helpful and may have some blueprints.  He's still a pup compared to many but he caught on quickly to the Lehigh style.
Andover, Vermont

Offline sz

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »

Offline horseman

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 03:32:06 AM »
VERY nice, Rich! :o

projeeper

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:56:05 AM »
steve what a wonderful rifle,if that doesn,t inspire/ intimadate no rifle will.

Offline VP

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:36:37 AM »
I agree with contacting Eric von Aschwege, he usually comes to Dixon's and you can purchase his drawings of the Rupp and Moll rifles from him. They are very detailed and well worth the price. You can also refer to Allen Martin's web site for some good pictures of some Lehigh at www.allenmartinrifles.com. Another good site is Eric Kettenburg at http://web.mac.com/kettenburgs/site/home.html. Eric has some excellent pictures of some originals.

Van

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:25:22 AM »
Here's an effort I made using RCA #57 for reference.  I used a 45" long Getz .45 cal. bbl., and a piece of Western Maple.  I brought this rifle to Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair in '07 and received several honours.  The best part of that for me was that I was able to handle one by Allen Martin that showed me where I could improve mine.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
T. Bailey,
Welcome to the ALR board.
Rupp and Lehigh rifles have a great appeal.  Good luck with your project.
Larry Luck

tbailey

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
Thanks fellas I will drop eric von,  an email for prints and check out the others web sites.  I can see this will be a challenge, but looking  forward to the task.
I really like the photos they will be a good reference.
I have built several guns of  the Lancaster style, but always wanted to build a lehigh.

Thanks again.

T. Bailey

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 03:19:42 AM »
I am having a hard time discerning where Taylor's rifle could be improved, other than to shoot it for a season and knock down the shine a little.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 03:49:56 AM »
Pete - you are very kind!  This rifle belongs to a trapper.  He takes it with him on his beaver line.  I can assure you, the shine won't last long.  And that's why I make them "as new". They acquire patina fast enough without sending them out the door worn and patina'd.
If I were to make another, the first thing I'd do is buy a copy of Eric's blueprint.  And study as many original Lehigh rifles as you can get access to.  There are indeed some nuances that set them apart.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.