Author Topic: .40 barrels  (Read 4755 times)

eagle24

.40 barrels
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
Doggone, I'm just full of questions all the sudden. ???  Anyway, here is another.  Has Green Mountain discontinued making a straight 7/8" barrel in .40 cal?  Didn't see it on TOW, so I went to the Green Mountain website and they don't list it either.  I know they have made them, because I shot one Saturday.

Scott Semmel

Re: .40 barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
Times change, straight barrels seem harder to find then swamped. Last time I was to Dixons they said their GM sraight barrel order was on back order for quite a while.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »
Greg, I'm sure someone will know for sure but the rumor I keep hearing is GM got some big contract for making barrels for the military and that has slowed production on thier BP barrels.  That may have something to do with you not seeing them available. 

Call Tip Curtis.  He normally has a pretty large stock of GM barrelsl
Cross Plains, TN 37049, (615) 654-4445
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:00:29 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

eagle24

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 06:05:10 PM »
Thank Ken!  They sure don't show it on their website.  I think I am going to talk to John Getz before I do anything.  I don't have a rifle with a Getz barrel and need to try one anyway.

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:10:35 PM »
I have been purchasing these from Tip Curtis.  His info has already been given by Ken.  Tip has more barrels than anyone I have seen.
                                                                       Roger Sells

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »
Doggone, I'm just full of questions all the sudden. ???  Anyway, here is another.  Has Green Mountain discontinued making a straight 7/8" barrel in .40 cal?  Didn't see it on TOW, so I went to the Green Mountain website and they don't list it either.  I know they have made them, because I shot one Saturday.
A question for you now,,,,, will that new gal be too nose heavy in 7/8 with that teeny little hole ??? ::)   How long will she be?  How strong are you offhand?  Just a thought :)

eagle24

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »
A question for you now,,,,, will that new gal be too nose heavy in 7/8 with that teeny little hole ??? ::)   How long will she be?  How strong are you offhand?  Just a thought :)

42" Roger.  No, she will be heavy but I like the feel for a range rifle.  I have a buddy who is shooting one now and I have shot his several times.  One thing that helps (IMO) is that it will be a Southern Rifle with a deep crescent butt plate so the butt locks in good and doesn't want to ride up from the nose being heavy.  I have a heavy VA rifle that I don't like shooting.  Seems I am always fighting to keep the butt down.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Troy Roope, at Stonewall Creek Has .40's in stock.  Even some 3/4" customs from Ed Rayle as well as Green Mtn in up to 44"

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

northmn

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »
Another trick some do for a barrel heavy gun is to drill holes under the buttplate and put a little lead in them.  As its a range gun the extra weight should not matter.  Best if they balance behind the entry thimble area.  What has been happening in the firearm industry in general is that after OBama got elected many folks have been buying up a lot of ammo and certain types of rifles.  GM is said to be busy making barrels for those type of rifles.  Primers are just now becoming available again because of this.

DP

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »
I called Track a while back and they had the .40 7/8 inch bbl although it was indeed not in their catalog.  I bought one with no difficulty.  Give them a call.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

eagle24

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »
I called Track a while back and they had the .40 7/8 inch bbl although it was indeed not in their catalog.  I bought one with no difficulty.  Give them a call.

I just called TOW and they told me that the 7/8" .40cal had been permanently discontinued by Green Mountain.  They said last year GM dropped about 1/2 of their black powder barrel offerings and the 7/8" .40 was one of the casualties.