Author Topic: O.K. I UNDERSTAND NOW  (Read 2463 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

O.K. I UNDERSTAND NOW
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:37:27 AM »
  Just got home today from N.C.,

Got the mail only to find Dixon's Book.   I understand now about what so many of you told me.  I figured that I could figure it out myself, like so many things I've had to do in the past. Trial and Error.  For whatever reason,  I listened to What the majority said.  I haven't touch my build for 2 weeks now.  Half way thru the book first time.  There truly is alot of interesting material in those pages.  I will admit,  at first I was upset not to find any photo's. But the artist's rendering's give it a more GoldenAge Tutorial.  I like that.  Thank you All for being so persistant.

Oh,  I had a great time in N.C.  A little disappointed about not getting to pan for Gold,  But then I did go there for the family.  I did however get to bring some concentrate home to pan later.  Has anyone had trouble with a Navigation Function on they're Cell Phone? ??? 

I kinda need a new phone.  Typed in the address, Checked it twice, Followed directions 67miles out of my way later stomped the guts out of my phone.  It had the right Road name, I needed 251 Lucky Strike RD.  We went to 125 Lucky Strike DR.  Finally found it...  FIVE hours later.  Shot the day for us, but still had a good time.

RICH

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: O.K. I UNDERSTAND NOW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:51:43 AM »
Might be the ore in your trunk that mixed up the GPS.  ;D

More than one sane man has gone over the edge when gold is involved. I think you'll be OK. Glad you got the Dixon book, and are taking the time to read it.

I have all these books, and only look at the pictures ;D

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 02:58:35 PM »
You can build a rifle by "trial and error", but it is gonna cost you, or your gonna have something that only resembles a rifle.  Get the other books, read them ,and then read them again.  Once you understand how everything has to work "together", you then can understand how a small change in one location can effect other things in other locations on that firearm.  Some things you will learn the hard way, we've all been there and done that, but you have to have a plan.  I would suggest (and have done this with other people), make a list of each thing that needs to be done from beginning to end, most of the books give you an idea of what order to do these things, then follow that list as you build crossing them off your list as you finish them.  Think things thru.
Bob

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
Every book has a little bit different approach. Every build is a little bit different. The more books you have the better equip ed you will be when things sometimes just don't go quite right. I bought William Buchele's "Re creating the American Longrifle" almost 40 years ago. I would hate to try and build a rifle using that book only, but it planted the seed and when I finally did start building, the knowledge that I had gained from reading that book several times over the years was invaluable. Incidentally, I think that drawings can sometimes be much more valuable than a photo. The drawing concentrates on just the essential area that a certain task is concerned with. Many times I have pondered a photograph trying to discover just what the author is trying to convey and have problems with lighting, focus, printing, or just so many things in the photo that it is hard to tell what is going on. Having different references at hand can help with this aspect also. If you are building just one rifle to shoot, you can probably get along with what you have, but if you are going to do more than that (and most eventually do, now matter what they said to begin with) you will want to build a Libra, which can be just as an enjoyable facet of this sport as the building can be.