Author Topic: Front and rear sling swivels  (Read 6048 times)

holzwurm

Front and rear sling swivels
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:57 PM »
I'm going to a lot of work to come up with a decent front sling swivel for a Jaeger.  I've forged a 1/8" dia steel rod into this flat looking thing. While I had it on the anvil I rolled over about 1/4" a couple of times and fire forged that into a thick end so I can drill/tap for the screw which holds the sling loop in place.  Now I have to start filing this strip down and bending it in a loop so it fits the gun. Has anyone made one of these from scratch like I'm doing? Any ideas or suggestions

How wide is about right for it?

Offline BJH

Re: Front and rear sling swivels
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »
I have done the same general thing using a large nail as a blank. Forge to semi rectangular in cross  section, and forge the ends a bit wider.  Bend, file and drill and tap. About a hours work.
BJH

holzwurm

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
hmmm, never thought of a nail. The forging and grinding took me well beyond an hour - but got it done.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:09:09 AM »
I used a nail. Forged flat, with wider ends. Then hot bent to shape. 5 had a paper pattern made up so it would fit my gun.  Drilled holes, then replaced the guns barrel pin with a slightly larger one, and just flared the ends of the pin once the thing was fitted. It works great. I've tapped and threaded a pin/nail before, but this works OK too.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:14:15 AM »
How big was the nail and what size tap did you use?      Gary

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:33:36 AM »
I used a flat piece of mild steel about 3/32 thick.  Cut a barbell out of it, bent it around, and drilled and tapped one end for the threads the other for the shank.  I did not attempt to make the drilled and tapped end thicker.  I carried the yeager for ten years with no problems.  A friend owns it now and carries it that way.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
I've made about 4 sets over the years - I made them out of scrap sheet steel, making up patterns in cardboard to get the lengths right, cut out the dumbell-like shape, did all my bevels, screw holes, taps, etc. before bending.  I made up a little bending guide out of steel that was the width of the strap that would be installed.  Bent the ends to receive the screw at a 90-degree angle before any of the other bends, then basically wrapped the piece around the steel mandrel, and was done.  Pretty easy.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
Kit Ravenshear included instructions for making these in one of his booklets on gunsmithing tricks.  Coat hangers bent to form the eye, then welded or brazed were one option.  Back in the day there were not many parts available.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Benedict

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
I've made about 4 sets over the years - I made them out of scrap sheet steel, making up patterns in cardboard to get the lengths right, cut out the dumbell-like shape, did all my bevels, screw holes, taps, etc. before bending.  I made up a little bending guide out of steel that was the width of the strap that would be installed.  Bent the ends to receive the screw at a 90-degree angle before any of the other bends, then basically wrapped the piece around the steel mandrel, and was done.  Pretty easy.

Swampwalker,
I would like to know more about your bending guide, maybe some pictures.

thanks,
Bruce

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:46:18 PM »
I've made some of 1/4 round, and turn the ends and body on the lathe. File the center section flat on the outside of the swivel, but leave it round on the inside for kindness to the sling.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 12:49:01 AM »
Bruce;
The 'bending guide' was truly nothing fancy - just a 1/8 inch thick piece of steel approximately 1 inch wide, with the sides gently rounded over.  The  sling blank is clamped in the vice with the guide set in the exact middle; the end of the sling blank are then bent around the guide.  It is useful because it gives even bends, and, for the rear sling which typically has a double bend, helps maintain the correct, symetric bends.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »
Thanks, sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.  I guess you bend it cold.

Bruce

holzwurm

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »

I managed to work up a fairly even design for the rear swivel by wrapping around a piece of flat. This still needed work to even up the curves and ends but it did work and even came out looking like the original. Once I found the right type of screw the piece came together nicely. My problem is I don't want the front one to look chunky and I don't have a pattern to measure too.

I like the piece in Acer's photo. Nice flow of lines. Good example to work towards.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 12:52:15 AM »
Tom,

I like the little extra detail on an otherwise utilitarian part.  It makes it fun to look over a rifle you have looked at before, and find new little details to may have escaped your notice the previously.

Nicely done,

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell